No drill, no notch weir.

CaseyWagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to revamp my plumbing this evening and switched to the weir version of the overflow on Joey's (King of DIY) youtube channel.
Rather than drill holes or notch the end and fiddle with it to get the right amount of flow, I used the plastic mesh commonly used on here for turf scrubbers.
Rolled it, stuck it in the pipe, and adjusted the height to where I want the flow to be. Working like a charm and quiet too.

Pardon the dirty tank. It's still recovering from my well being out of commission a month ago. Had to use spring water because the store's were out of distilled and that wreaked havoc on the tank.

signal-2022-09-11-010042_002.jpeg
signal-2022-09-11-011130.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to revamp my plumbing this evening and switched to the weir version of the overflow on Joey's (King of DIY) youtube channel.
Rather than drill holes or notch the end and fiddle with it to get the right amount of flow, I used the plastic mesh commonly used on here for turf scrubbers.
Rolled it, stuck it in the pipe, and adjusted the height to where I want the flow to be. Working like a charm and quiet too.

Pardon the dirty tank. It's still recovering from my well being out of commission a month ago. Had to use spring water because the store's were out of distilled and that wreaked havoc on the tank.

signal-2022-09-11-010042_002.jpeg
signal-2022-09-11-011130.jpeg
Good thinkin’!

Just a watch out, those plastic meshes can become fouled and the roll might choke off the flow.

OP
OP
CaseyWagner

CaseyWagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! It's cut but I left some extra for the initial testing. I'm going to trim it down to very little overlap, and trim out the middle of a bunch of squares in the grid so that the holes are 2x2.
It's at the front-right of the tank so I see it every day. Any algae or debris I'll see right away :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back