No emerald crabs in chalice tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter kuansreef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kuansreef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 13, 2013
Messages
847
Reaction score
60
Location
Texas city
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep many high end rainbow chalices and they have been growing and open like crazy. This morning, I saw 2 of them, one is wwc jellybean reveal skeletons with tissue intact. I realized it was the 2 emerald crabs that I put in a week ago. It looks like they have been crawling all over the chalices. No emerald crabs in chalice tank. I leaned my expensive lesson. Also, they have been messed up with my frags, turning them upside down.
 
Last edited:
They usually hunt down corals if they run out of things to scavenge. My cleaner will go after my Cat's Paw if I forget to feed him for a few days. Same with my hermit that I recently got rid of. You could have just been really unlucky and managed to get two coral-craving emeralds, but it's unlikely.
 
Your cleanup crews are opportunistic feeders...they eat anything, when they run out of their proffered food source they will eat anything to survive...like most things....I think that's why some Angels turn to eating corals...not enough food to happily sustain them...but that's just a hunch
 
I just caught 2 emerald crabs nipping at my sps and chalices. They are not good when they get bigger.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new