No full dark period?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if this gets a little long winded.
I work at a military boarding school. I've been asked by quite a few of the boys and some staff if I would set up a tank on campus.
I just happen to have a 29 gallon biocube sitting around with nothing to do.
Here are my issues.

Number one is lighting. There are three places to put it.
1. Academic hall: Bright light 24/7, no monitor to keep students from "feeding" the fish.
2. Administrative hall: Bright light 24/7. Limited access for feeding and maintenance. Limited enjoyment for the students.
3. Residence hall. This is where I work, and where I'd much rather have the tank if I decide it's feasible.
My office is cramped, and is manned around the clock. Again, bright light 24/7. I would like to put a tank outside the office in the residence hallway where we can keep an eye on it and the guys can enjoy it.
We do dim the lights in the residence hallways from 2200 to 0600 (military school/military time), but it is far from dark.
There are several students that I would trust to feed and maintain the tank on my days off, or when I take time off, and would love the opportunity to do so.
My biggest issue is with the lack of a dedicated "dark" period for the tank.
Any advice would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making some sort of cover mabye?
I'd thought of that, but I have to keep it as simple as possible. I was kind of hoping that someone had experience/success with a tank that doesn't have a completely dark period.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd thought of that, but I have to keep it as simple as possible. I was kind of hoping that someone had experience/success with a tank that doesn't have a completely dark period.
Hmm I've never tried to set up a reef in a situation such as this. I do have my sump light on 24/7 tho

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you incorporated some really dark blues AKA "moon lights" - it should be ok. We ran a tank 5-6 years ago with cheap marineland blues at night and everything thrived ok.

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you incorporated some really dark blues AKA "moon lights" - it should be ok. We ran a tank 5-6 years ago with cheap marineland blues at night and everything thrived ok.
Was this with ambient light all of the time?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this with ambient light all of the time?

Somewhat - hallway lights, etc.. It wasn't total darkness but it wasn't daylight either - it was in a hospital waiting area/security so there was low lighting present at all times nightly.

OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat - hallway lights, etc.. It wasn't total darkness but it wasn't daylight either - it was in a hospital waiting area/security so there was low lighting present at all times nightly.
Sounds pretty close to what we do. I'm leaning a little closer to doing it. Thanks.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a fish exposed to light 24/7 would be as ‘grumpy’ as a person in the same circumstance. (Lol.)

Any chance to stock so lightly with fish that each could at least retreat into its own deep (dark) hole in the rock work?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back