No Growth From Gigas.

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Breath taking. Thank you for sharing the video with us. I was wondering if you had to burp the clam or not. But looks like your clam is fine without being burped.

Shoot. I better upgrade my tank soon. Currently I have the derasa in my 25 gallon [emoji23]
Would you say maxima clams are any harder to care for when compared to something like a derasa?

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Breath taking. Thank you for sharing the video with us. I was wondering if you had to burp the clam or not. But looks like your clam is fine without being burped.

Shoot. I better upgrade my tank soon. Currently I have the derasa in my 25 gallon [emoji23]
Would you say maxima clams are any harder to care for when compared to something like a derasa?

Light requirements are higher, but if you can fulfill it, then your issue is with initial fragility versus a Derasa. Maximas don't seem to ship as well as Derasas, and they are likely starving if they aren't placed at the center of the lights at the LFS. If you can find a healthy Maxima though, a good portion of the battle is over, and you'll likely have little issues.

U

User1

View Badges
@Troy V Thank you for sharing the video. I don't know what to say other than that is really impressive. I've seem some while diving and of course the smaller ones but nothing like that. The way you guys and gals moved that thing, and then later adjust it in the tank is pretty impressive. Then the final small adjustments and it moving / shifting a little bit - side to side, was interesting. Does the clam, or did it later, adjust itself? It looks like it had a lot of movement (ignorant of clams biology but maybe I need to do some reading) based on that 2nd video.

I will do some reading on them then. Oddly enough my wife years ago wanted to buy one. Of all things in the tank she for whatever reason thought the clam (and I forget which type) was really pretty. At the time I was like but look at all the pretty fish and/or coral. Nope, she was drawn back to the little 3" clam.

Thank you again for sharing and educating. You are pretty amazing.

campaign000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. Those are some good points you make. Are you adding NO3? Other than feedings? If so what concentrations? I was hoping to see at least 1ppm registering on a test kit. I just checked it again and I can't see a color change. But like what JDA said it could be getting absorbed/consumed elsewhere. I wanted to take it slow but I think I will double the dosage next week. 100ppm concentration and see where that takes me. As for lighting I will increase the photo period on the Hydras' and see where that takes me. The real kicker is that when I moved the clam to the temporary holding tank before I moved it to its current tank it was growing amazingly fast.

Look at the new growth on it, and that was under 4 t-5s. This is also after it spawned every day for a couple of weeks. Totally stressed out from the move. I think the last move to its current tank really hurt him.

IMG_20160829_185014858.jpg

Hi Troy V,
You mentioned the gigas grew fast under 4 t-5s in temporary tank. I'm curious which brand of t-5 do you use and what colors are they? Thx.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back