no luck with zoa's

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a zoa frag, and it's been about 5 days, and it has yet to open. I have palys all over and they've never had an issue. I have never had luck with them, and I cannot figure out why. any ideas?
I am low now, on Nitrate and Phosphate, but am dosing. all other parameters look fine, according to red sea.
I am just curious, why I lose my zoas, but can keep paly's. If that makes sense?;Shy

Haoayu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imho, "has yet to open" does t mean it died or dying - a picture speaks a thousand words. I have had zoas closed up on me for weeks but turns up ok - as long as the polyps looks healthy it will open up eventually. It could be a difference in parameters between your tank and where you get it from, and it is "getting used" to the new environment placement - be it temp, lighting, or water. Or it could be a cleaning crew bothering it without you noticing. Who knows, but if you say your parameters are all in check, then I would say be patient. Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 77
Salinity -1.026
PH reading 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate reading 0
Alk 11
PHOS reading 0
CALC 500
MAG 1300

dosing Nitrates and Phospate, Kessil A360WE tuna blue x3, 125 gallon, weekly water changes 20%

Upvote 0
OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need more info, possibly pictures too. Saying parameters are fine and things are low isnt too helpful.
sorry. No way of uploading a picture. polyps are just closed. they're not reaching, and actually acted as though they may open, but havent. what I am confused with, is why paly's do well, but not zoas

Upvote 0

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 and Nitrates are what they use for food. You want that to at least be there, just not in excess. As stated above the photo would help identify issues. Is there detritous on them? Do they have algae growing on them? I'd take a turkey baster and blow water across them so theres nothing irritating them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does zero mean it is not checked? Zero pH? Zero nitrate and phosphate? Alk and cal are high also.
what do you mean, not checked? alk is within range. Calcium is high, and I'm not sure why that is. phosphate is 0.3 so it's really low. Nitrate is reading 0 I started dosing, those 2, but will wait until tomorrow to test. If I had a way of uploading a picture, I would do so. there's only 4 heads on the frag plug, but they're just not opening. I thought by day 5 I'd see it open.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 and Nitrates are what they use for food. You want that to at least be there, just not in excess. As stated above the photo would help identify issues. Is there detritous on them? Do they have algae growing on them? I'd take a turkey baster and blow water across them so theres nothing irritating them.
No there is not. No algae either.

Upvote 0

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mean, not checked? alk is within range. Calcium is high, and I'm not sure why that is. phosphate is 0.3 so it's really low. Nitrate is reading 0 I started dosing, those 2, but will wait until tomorrow to test. If I had a way of uploading a picture, I would do so. there's only 4 heads on the frag plug, but they're just not opening. I thought by day 5 I'd see it open.
You stated pH is zero along with others. I doubt it is zero, that is why I asked if they were not checked.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay! Are the Paly's in your tank happy? I received some zoas in the mail that took over a week to open. As long as they aren't melting, they have a chance.
The paly's are going stupid. that's where my confusion comes in. I just dont understand. I am doing a water change on thursday, and will retest again. I just ordered a new testing kit also...should be here Monday. Going to Salifert, because Red Sea is just too complicated to figure out. for me anyway.

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess you mean 0.03 for PO4?

If your calcium is high it could either be a testing error or your salinity is high, my guess is your salinity is higher than you think.

I had the same with calcium and mag, I would have sworn my salinity was correct, used calibration fluid on the refractometer etc wasn’t until a tested it with a hydrometer I found it was high.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what’s your filtration and w/c, 2-5 is good for a 13.5g.

How much do you feed your fish?
oversized canister, (kids are sleeping or I'd tell you brand) and I am good about keeping up on that, so that's not it...there's no place to put a sump, and I dont like those anyway. tank is a 125 and I do a 15 gallons a week

Upvote 0
OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you mean 0.03 for PO4?

If your calcium is high it could either be a testing error or your salinity is high, my guess is your salinity is higher than you think.

I had the same with calcium and mag, I would have sworn my salinity was correct, used calibration fluid on the refractometer etc wasn’t until a tested it with a hydrometer I found it was high.
I will check that. That's a great point. thank you

Upvote 0

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta ask it to check off the list— Where are you placing the zoas in the tank? Zoas and paly’s thrive with 100-250 par. With the kessils, is it possible they're being blasted with too much?

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back