no luck with zoa's

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a zoa frag, and it's been about 5 days, and it has yet to open. I have palys all over and they've never had an issue. I have never had luck with them, and I cannot figure out why. any ideas?
I am low now, on Nitrate and Phosphate, but am dosing. all other parameters look fine, according to red sea.
I am just curious, why I lose my zoas, but can keep paly's. If that makes sense?;Shy

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta ask it to check off the list— Where are you placing the zoas in the tank? Zoas and paly’s thrive with 100-250 par. With the kessils, is it possible they're being blasted with too much?
they are approximately 3 inches off the sand. I'm also not running the lights high, due to new corals. going easy. probably 40% blues and 10 whites.

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are approximately 3 inches off the sand. I'm also not running the lights high, due to new corals. going easy. probably 40% blues and 10 whites.

what intestity though? The colour on Kessil doesn’t really play a part, it’s all about the intensity.

they could need more? Kessil are known for low par, they say par is not a measure of a good light which is probably true but if they came from a tank with Radions etc then it will be a shock.

Upvote 0

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine may be extreme (still trying to fine tune) but I have my AI Primes reach (UV, V, B, RB) 140% at its peak, and my zoas love it. Maybe try altering you light schedule?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alk and calcium are high
Salinity can come down one point.
Moderate light and water flow and many like a little iodine in the water.

recommended:

temp 77-79
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.1-8.3
Nitrate < .04
Pho’s < .04
Ammonia. < .03

athough not critical-
Mag 1300
Alk 8-9
Ca 440

sometimes they end up with detritus or mulm on them causing them to close. Try Gentle bursts with a turkey baster in case that’s upsetting them

Upvote 0
Back