No overflow box stand pipe only

soontobeareefer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2024
Messages
10
Reaction score
20
Location
AZ
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm re-sealing a 120g I got and I'm thinking about running a stand pipe only drain and return system. I know there are certain benefits that come with an overflow box, but as for pure mechanics it will still drain. I would have a 1" drain and an emergency 3/4" drain fed by a single 3/4" return line split into 2 -3/4" lockline and 1-1/2" lockline.......thoughts please....
 
The amount of flow you can get down an open top 1" gravity overflow without much noise is going to be pretty low for a 120-gallon tank. You could make it an internal Durso to help take away the noise. If you are thinking of making the 1" a full siphon submerged under the water level and have a trickle always going over the emergency, you could get a lot more flow, but I would think it might be difficult to locate the full siphon close enough to the water line to avoid overflowing the sump and still not get a vortex on the full siphon. I would try to use an overflow box if at all possible - even one of the siphon types that avoid drilling the side of the tank over a standpipe.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new