NO POLITICS! R2R & My Aquarium Are My Happy Places From This Crazy World!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the rant but had a difficult dinner last night with a sister-in-law who yelled and screamed her opposing political opinions. Couldn’t even rationally discuss and I was wrong no matter what my rationale was.

Quickly came back to R2R and my aquarium and the blood pressure soon returned to normal. My world was at peace again.

Thank you to all the R2R members for the expert advice, funny bantering, and sympathetic ears! R2R constantly helps me through this crazy world!

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I view quarantine / no quarantine as a matter of reef politics

the subject is 100% as polarizing.
I dont know..SPS vs LPS debate really gets me going!!! How you do/do not quarantine your fish..doesnt bother me whatso ever.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people just cannot be reasoned with, no matter how you approach the situation.

I, too, find peace with my tank and enjoy coming here for giggles. I avoid conflict when I can and do not start convos that I think might invite negativity.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I view quarantine / no quarantine as a matter of reef politics

the subject is 100% as polarizing.
Maybe Polarizing, But I’m impressed on this site with the great, calm, and rational discussions about this topic and other reefing polarizin topics. Members are free to make their own decisions as they see fit. No pressure, no yelling and screaming, but most importantly, great information on both sides of the decision.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Polarizing, But I’m impressed on this site with the great, calm, and rational discussions about this topic and other reefing polarizin topics. Members are free to make their own decisions as they see fit. No pressure, no yelling and screaming, but most importantly, great information on both sides of the decision.
There are a couple of chuckleheads that try to infuse politics..but it generally gets shut down pretty fast by the members or the wonderful ignore button.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also impressed with R2R. I started lurking here about two years ago when I started toying with jumping back into the hobby and it is almost always supportive and tolerates alternate viewpoints with tact and grace. Not at all like my main forum site 14 years ago.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had a difficult dinner last night with a sister-in-law who yelled and screamed here opposing political opinions. Couldn’t even rationally discuss and I was wrong no matter what my rationale was.
Sorry to hear that bud.

This behavior shows you that the other person you were attempting to have a conversation with, had no intention of having a Conversation with you.

Some people cannot remove Emotion from their long held beliefs. Many people today find a difference of opinion to be a direct and personal attack on themselves.

IMO the only Diversity that matters is the diversity of thought and experience, and I will never argue with someone who is fueled purely by emotion. It isn't worth it.

On the other hand, it is a Lot Of Fun to switch gears (mentally) and intentionally start trolling people fueled by emotional rage.

Today's gunna be a better day Tater!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the rant but had a difficult dinner last night with a sister-in-law who yelled and screamed here opposing political opinions. Couldn’t even rationally discuss and I was wrong no matter what my rationale was.

Quickly came back to R2R and my aquarium and the blood pressure soon returned to normal. My world was at peace again.

Thank you to all the R2R members for the expert advice, funny bantering, and sympathic ears! R2R constantly helps me through this crazy world!
In my perspective - was you or your sister in law right Peter? :p:p:p:p

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my perspective - was you or your sister right Peter? :p:p:p:p

Sincerely Lasse
In my experience, someone who has to yell and scream their opinions is probably wrong. If their opinion was absolutely correct, then it should be easy to explain and easy for everyone to comprehend.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that bud.

This behavior shows you that the other person you were attempting to have a conversation with, had no intention of having a Conversation with you.

Some people cannot remove Emotion from their long held beliefs. Many people today find a difference of opinion to be a direct and personal attack on themselves.

IMO the only Diversity that matters is the diversity of thought and experience, and I will never argue with someone who is fueled purely by emotion. It isn't worth it.

On the other hand, it is a Lot Of Fun to switch gears (mentally) and intentionally start trolling people fueled by emotional rage.

Today's gunna be a better day Tater!
Redacted..dont want my response to be taken in a poor way and be the start of a back and forth.

Updated: And with his response to this..exactly why i redacted it.

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...but that 'lot of fun' mentality is what has really started driving our national discourse.
I disagree whole heartedly and trolling your overly emotional sister-in-law isn't a nationally held ideal. Just a silly reefer in socal.

I would say the inability to Communicate with each other, rationally discuss our differences of position, listen to one anothers views and judge them against our own information and moral compass without getting offended, is what is leading the discourse.

-apparently the perfect example. Nothing Wrong with that either person said.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back