NO POLITICS! R2R & My Aquarium Are My Happy Places From This Crazy World!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to need your sister-in-law’s phone number. Please and thank you.
Sexy Hot Girl GIF by Cappa Video Productions
Before makeup
ugly GIF
after makeup

Are you sure you want her number?

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say, as a right leaning moderate, I get hated on by both sides. Its gotten to the point that I don't do social media at all anymore. Don't even get me going on the news! LOL So, I just don't bother with either anymore. My return to the reef hobby is my attempt to regain my sanity by distracting myself from the crazy state of mind our country is in. My R2R sessions have become my happy place as well. Happy reef-keeping everybody.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say, as a right leaning moderate, I get hated on by both sides. Its gotten to the point that I don't do social media at all anymore. Don't even get me going on the news! LOL So, I just don't bother with either anymore. My return to the reef hobby is my attempt to regain my sanity by distracting myself from the crazy state of mind our country is in. My R2R sessions have become my happy place as well. Happy reef-keeping everybody.
Irony?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing your sanity on a swingarm or digital checker?

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you consider R2R social media, I guess it's very ironic. I was referring to the crazier sites like FB and IG. The extreme polarization found on those sites will lead to arguments way to often. I have the reef interest in common with folks here. That's why I'm here and it's ultimately what matters most. Happy reefing to you all.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the cell phone era its to easy to argue rather than discuss. When you do try to discuss people still think they are on their phone.
Maybe im just old, and I am, but people used to talk face to face with each other. Because of social media and cell phones no one has to.
Ever been standing in line somewhere and look around at everyone with their face buried in their phone. You try and talk to someone and you get the look.

Ok I have to go feed my fish.
20210224_191449.gif

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Polarizing, But I’m impressed on this site with the great, calm, and rational discussions about this topic and other reefing polarizin topics. Members are free to make their own decisions as they see fit. No pressure, no yelling and screaming, but most importantly, great information on both sides of the decision.
This

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the cell phone era its to easy to argue rather than discuss. When you do try to discuss people still think they are on their phone.
Maybe im just old, and I am, but people used to talk face to face with each other. Because of social media and cell phones no one has to.
Ever been standing in line somewhere and look around at everyone with their face buried in their phone. You try and talk to someone and you get the look.

Ok I have to go feed my fish.
20210224_191449.gif
Oddly and coincidentally enough..i just had one of those neighbor squabbles of people blowing leaves on each other's lawn. I sent a passive aggressive text the neighbor came over and apologized for what happened. Although I was in the right for the issue on the leaves...i feel this small because he talked to me face to face like people are supposed to do.

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, someone who has to yell and scream their opinions is probably wrong.
I disagree with this. Yelling and screaming means that they have run out of options in trying get their point across whether that point is right or wrong. Generally speaking their is an escalation from both parties i.e. neither party is de-escalating and I mean truly de-escalating.

I think the yelling and screaming is more about depth of understanding and maturity of the person than it is about the thing being debated. Most of the time both people don't really have the depth of understanding and are operating on information that they obtained playing the game of telephone. That is to say in important ways they are wrong.
If their opinion was absolutely correct, then it should be easy to explain and easy for everyone to comprehend.
I could do a lot of things to explain time dialation to someone, but if a person can't wrap their head around it then they are never going to get it. Sometimes things are so foriegn that people's minds can't comprehend them even though they think they can.

I just had a case of this happen to me this weekend. It's never fun to be humilated by your own ignorance, but the real test of someone's metal is to not villianizing someone that delivered the humiliating information.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with this. Yelling and screaming means that they have run out of options in trying get their point across whether that point is right or wrong. Generally speaking their is an escalation from both parties i.e. neither party is de-escalating and I mean truly de-escalating.

I think the yelling and screaming is more about depth of understanding and maturity of the person than it is about the thing being debated. Most of the time both people don't really have the depth of understanding and are operating on information that they obtained playing the game of telephone. That is to say in important ways they are wrong.

I could do a lot of things to explain time dialation to someone, but if a person can't wrap their head around it then they are never going to get it. Sometimes things are so foriegn that people's minds can't comprehend them even though they think they can.

I just had a case of this happen to me this weekend. It's never fun to be humilated by your own ignorance, but the real test of someone's metal is to not villianizing someone that delivered the humiliating information.

This is an experienced man's (person's?) opinion. Takes a very long time for people to realize the point of view and history components of why people think that way. When i was younger and less experienced, i thought everyone was stupid for disagreeing with me. It only was when i got older is that I realized I was the stupid one because I didnt take into account WHY that person had the different opinion which would be just as valid had I had a similar history

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My uncle is a screamer, pounding tables, red face, so I get it. And it’s not that the other side escalates a discussion whatsoever, either. He just thinks he’s right and if you have another view then you are dumb and you will get wrath.

Edit: My mom is usually the one to go there w/him, b/c she’s the only one ever nice enough to believe a real discussion can be had.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back