NO POLITICS! R2R & My Aquarium Are My Happy Places From This Crazy World!

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PeterC99 on this very board I had a very contentious debate over a technique I have used heavily for 25 years. I had a ton of personal empirical information backing up my technique. The technique was reproducable both positively and negatively. The person that was challenging my technique did not appear to know the background I had in it or it's effectiveness. They just said that my reasoning was wrong. This hit my ego and the debate got contentious because my guess is that the person on the other side's ego got hit too.

Ok, here is the technique for dissection and understanding. The technique is what I at the time called oxygen saturation. I use massive flow in my aquariums to accomplish this (or so I thought). I have for years assumed (erroneously) that it was low oxygen causing the fish to have problems. It turns out from what was pointed out to me that I was right but for the wrong reasons. The problem isn't the entrance of oxygen into the tank it is the exiting of carbon dioxide from the tank. ;Pompus

The person was simply pointing out the error of my chemistry and not the failure of my method. This seems to be a common thing to happen. The worse part though is when many people do not even understand what I am saying say I am wrong. I become caloused to people saying things to me because so many people aren't coming from a place of understanding, but be warned when that one person does come along that you don't ignore them, because they can help you in ways that you can't imagine.

Because of this person's help, I went on to discover how important indoor air quality is on my fish and then by extension myself. It was a long trip down a very deep rabbit hole, but it came from one contentious debate on this board with another person.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly and coincidentally enough..i just had one of those neighbor squabbles of people blowing leaves on each other's lawn. I sent a passive aggressive text the neighbor came over and apologized for what happened. Although I was in the right for the issue on the leaves...i feel this small because he talked to me face to face like people are supposed to do.

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF by reactionseditor
Next time text me to let me know you’re coming over to talk!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PeterC99 on this very board I had a very contentious debate over a technique I have used heavily for 25 years. I had a ton of personal empirical information backing up my technique. The technique was reproducable both positively and negatively. The person that was challenging my technique did not appear to know the background I had in it or it's effectiveness. They just said that my reasoning was wrong. This hit my ego and the debate got contentious because my guess is that the person on the other side's ego got hit too.

Ok, here is the technique for dissection and understanding. The technique is what I at the time called oxygen saturation. I use massive flow in my aquariums to accomplish this (or so I thought). I have for years assumed (erroneously) that it was low oxygen causing the fish to have problems. It turns out from what was pointed out to me that I was right but for the wrong reasons. The problem isn't the entrance of oxygen into the tank it is the exiting of carbon dioxide from the tank. ;Pompus

The person was simply pointing out the error of my chemistry and not the failure of my method. This seems to be a common thing to happen. The worse part though is when many people do not even understand what I am saying say I am wrong. I become caloused to people saying things to me because so many people aren't coming from a place of understanding, but be warned when that one person does come along that you don't ignore them, because they can help you in ways that you can't imagine.

Because of this person's help, I went on to discover how important indoor air quality is on my fish and then by extension myself. It was a long trip down a very deep rabbit hole, but it came from one contentious debate on this board with another person.
CENSORED FOR SOME REASON *shrugs*

Last edited:

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last year, when the family can't find me, they know exactly where I am.
My reef in training is my serenity place!!! I can and do spend hours looking at potential growth lol
Politics will get you thrown out on your ear!!!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don’t leave us hanging! What was the debate about?
Why bread is bad for you and veggie fake meat is not. I really don't want to know. I just know how it happens and how it ends and it is always ugly.

May you find a relaxing day @PeterC99
blingbling.jpg

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you are making my point! I’m perfectly willing to have a rational discussion with anyone about any topic. And I’m willing to end with agreeing to disagree if we can’t find common ground, But don’t make the discussion, “I’m right and you are wrong” without even listening to my point of view.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are making my point! I’m perfectly willing to have a rational discussion with anyone about any topic. And I’m willing to end with agreeing to disagree if we can’t find common ground, But don’t make the discussion, “I’m right your wrong” without listening to my point of view.
Sorry..i disagree with you and I would appreciate if you stopped trying to convince me.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, the old pineapple doesn't belong on a pizza argument.
Can we get back to the pineapple on pizza thing?

This is obviously the only topic that warrants a full blown, red faced, spit flying, table pounding discussion. Truly worthy of it's own forum!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is obviously the only topic that warrants a full blown, red faced, spit flying, table pounding discussion. Truly worthy of it's own forum!
Shame we can't add a poll after a thread has been started!!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please state your position on the matter for the record!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please state your position on the matter for the record!
Absolutely! Pineapple has NO PLACE on any pizza!! Unless, of course it also has italian sausage and jalapenos. In which case it's almost mandatory. Can't understand why people won't just accept this simple fact!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! Pineapple has NO PLACE on any pizza!! Unless, of course it also has italian sausage and jalapenos. In which case it's almost mandatory. Can't understand why people won't just accept this simple fact!
Because you're using definitives and exceptions together.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%
Back