No-pox two weeks in

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Recommendations on what is the next step. Do I increase dosage of No-Pox? Remain and retest next week? Add something for Phos removal (I’ve read on here that No-Pox really doesn’t remove Phos) using PhosGuard? I’ve listed my nutrients by week! Any help appreciated.
I have been dosing a homemade no-pox 500 ml white distilled vinegar, 375 ml vodka and 125 ml RODI.

Starting values 7/6/22 Hanna Nitrate HR, Phophate ULR for all weeks. Was feeding pellets but cut back to about 1x/week in large reef. Do feed ocean nutrition green marine algae with natural garlic extract daily to both reefs 6”x3” in 210, 4”x3” in 110Ash max 11.1% Phosphorus min .5%

160g Predator tank N 49.7 didn’t test Phos
210g reef N 21.1 Phos .42
110g reef N 15 Phos .69

started at approx 1ml per 25g actual water doses equally during light cycle

wk 2
Increased dose to approx 2 ml per 25 gal
Had issues possibly with oxygen depletion so did 80g water change on predator tank
And added air pump in all three. Pred in display, reefs in sumps.
Pred N 39.5 Phos .9 prior to water change
210 reef N 24.6 Phos .46
110 reef N test bad 40.7 Phos .62
Freaked out about 40.7 N so did prepared a 70g water change. Retested forgot to write it down but N wasn’t that high in mid teens. Still did large water change to suction and clean green hair algae,

today no water changes since upped dosage except 110 reef as described above started Phosguard in both reefs
Pred N 39.4 Phos .9
210 reef N 25.2 Phos .33
110 reef N 12.4 Phos .69

GHA in 110 reef almost gone from water change and or dosing. Really hasn’t come back as strong and areas that had it doesn’t now. Should I maintain this dosage for another week? Or jump it to 3 ml / 25 g? Replenish Phosguard as it is supposed to be depleted in 4 days or is there something else I should look into?

Algae still flourishing in Predator tank. Installed a Red Sea 1200 reef roller 7/14 added Phosguard at same time in it’s media tray. I’m thinking I definitely need to increase dosage to 3 ml/ 25g. But Phos still at .9, continue with fresh Phosguard or again other suggestions? I have an algae scrubber in this tank as well. Probably due for a cleaning (but not overdue) I run it opposite my DT light cycle along with my refugium light to help offset Ph swing, I could increase the light window there (should I)?

210 reef no water changes no additions except fresh Phosguard this week. I plan to increase to 3ml/25g and replace Phosguard? No algae issues ever with this tank. Moved it all from the 110 in March.

All corals open and healthy in appearance. Softies growing well. LPS open good during light cycle, SPS what I think is a red monti growing well and a green with yellow spots monti growing well. Chalice doesn’t seem to be doing much, acro maybe fading color a little.
Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want phosphate lower than 0.69 to 0.9, then you will need some other approach (of which there are several choices, such as binders (e.g., the Phosguard) or a balanced export such as macroalgae plus nitrate dosing)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running refugiums, Is the dried algae I’m feeding high or normal in Phos/ash

Ash means what to you?

Seaweeds are not generally though of as unusually high phosphate foods but they do often have a higher phisphate to protein ratio than meaty foods like shrimp.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ash means what to you?

Seaweeds are not generally though of as unusually high phosphate foods but they do often have a higher phisphate to protein ratio than meaty foods like shrimp.
Ash didn’t really mean much to me prior to people on here saying don’t feed the Algea pellets I was feeding. I might have read or might be mistaken that ash might have something to do with phosphate production.
Also quotes the levels in case someone on here said, “Hey try this brand as it is lower.”
I believe in an earlier discussion that it was brought forward that phosphates are not generally raised through feeding frozen mysis, brine etc. maybe I should also ask if Spirulina enriched brine raises Phosphates as I feed about a 50/50 Spirulina and mysis other than the dried algae.
Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ash didn’t really mean much to me prior to people on here saying don’t feed the Algea pellets I was feeding. I might have read or might be mistaken that ash might have something to do with phosphate production.
Also quotes the levels in case someone on here said, “Hey try this brand as it is lower.”
I believe in an earlier discussion that it was brought forward that phosphates are not generally raised through feeding frozen mysis, brine etc. maybe I should also ask if Spirulina enriched brine raises Phosphates as I feed about a 50/50 Spirulina and mysis other than the dried algae.
Thanks.
I show phosphate to protein ratios for many foods here:

Mysis can be low, but that doesn’t mean it’s a better food.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I show phosphate to protein ratios for many foods here:

Mysis can be low, but that doesn’t mean it’s a better food.
Thanks. I feed silversides, peeled and deveined shrimp, scallops, krill, and mussels in my predator tank. Each seems to have tons more Phosphate than dry and frozen, but reasonable percentage wise.
I’m going to dig into that article a little more as I develop my plan going forward and make sure I’m making the right balanced food decisions for them.

Back