No Sump Skimmer Options

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I'm back for more!

I got my wave maker installed today and just in a few hours it's made such a difference. Corals and other elements that were once dormant have come to life! And not just moving in the water, I mean it's like they're reacting to the flow, little things are blooming all over the place, it's amazing that adding flow to a previously no-flow tank can do.

But I digress.

Obviously I'm beginning to see how a saltwater tank can be an ongoing, and expensive hobby. However the last purchase I want to make before letting the tank settle for a while is a protein skimmer, but the issue is I have no sump. In the future I may add sump to my setup, but in the meantime I just have a canister filter. I'm finding it hard understanding what the best option would be for a non-sump skimmer.

Initially I was hoping I could get a skimmer that would sit in the cabinet next to my canister filter. After some research it looks like the skimmer can't be stand alone with just a tube going to the tank. It actually needs to sit in the water, either in the tank or in the sump. Like everyone I want something that's not going to be an eye sore. I got sold on the Reef Octopus line, but then looking at their Classic HOB, the thing is MASSIVE hanging off your tank. Ideally I was hoping for something that could hang off the back but with a low enough profile you couldn't see any of the apparatus over the lid. Which got me looking at the Tunze DOC 9004. It's got a low enough profile that I think it should be fine with the lid on.

Let me describe my tank, and then you can give me your feedback, actually here's a link Boyu LZ-810. I've got a poster covering the back of the tank because it's right in front of a window. So anything that would hang off the back, as long as it wasn't taller than the lid would be perfect. Barring that, something like the Tunze in tank would be the next choice.

As always I look forward to hearing anyone/everyone's thoughts.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back