No water change sps tank?

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you telling me you stopped all water changes and you have fish and corals? Wow! Can this process work on a 38 gallon tank- how do you achieve this? So impressive
I know of a few methods with no water changes, Triton is very popular right now. I have only been doing it since I set this tank up a month ago. Awaiting my Triton lab results to see where I need to be with dosing trace elements. Here are some links to good information:

https://www.triton-lab.de/en/products-services/triton-method/

http://uniquecorals.com/blog/triton-macna2017/

It's pretty easy if you have a sump that can house a decent sized refugium or you can/want to do a remote one.

OP
OP
nashorn

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 57gal maybe another 30 in the sump and been doing no water changes for about a year.
But I also Volka dose since the start of the tank over 3 yrs ago.
I have 3 fish that are too big for such a small tank.
Unfortunate two fish are over 10 years old so I'm kind of attached to them.
So it can be done on a smaller tank.

I do no water change because I feel the tank is more stable.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a very efficient algae scrubber, rox 8, a critter refugium & I just started auto dosing AF Components 1 2 & 3.

I'm thinking I'll go no water changes, but because i live near a very clean ocean I may do a once a year large water change over several consecutive days.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider mine a moderately stocked new sps tank with 90% sps except for a few lps that my wife loves. Among sps too, 80% acropora dominated.
Tank has been running for around 9 months and I stopped doing water change for the past 5-6 months.
Running a Bubble king skimmer with ATI essentials for major and minor elements.
High flow with 2 Tunze 6095 , 1 6055 , 1 6105 and a gyre 150 coupled with a seaswirl connected to my vectra M1 for return.
I am fanatic about Alk and measure atleast twice if not 3 times day with Hanna checker.

Guess the nitrates and phosphates ?

image2-1.JPG

Regards,
Abhishek

RONBATTLE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a vid from the end of August.

WOW..I COULD SIT BACK WITH A GOOD BOTTLE OF COGNAC AND WATCH THIS VIDEO FOR A WHILE...I AM SO JEALOUS...IS THAT A 72" TANK ??...IT IS REALLY BEAUTIFUL...

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*noob doing research, Alert Alert*
I have a quick question, what happens if they do grow into eachother?

It not that something bad always happens it's just that they grow right into each other and you end up with a mass of acros all trying to live in this tiny area, some will do well and other will not. Also it can really sometimes cause recession problems if the coral stop water flowing to the underside of the corals.

The people who don't do water changes, do you have fish or feed the corals or dose nitrates another way?
I have 55 fish in a 270gallon tank I feed 12 cubes of mysis and 6 pinches of pellets a day. I also dose nitrates to keep 5-10ppm of NO3 in the tank.

Still using the Calc reactor?

No I removed the Ca reactor when I started dosing.

I just started using the ATI system which also doesn't use water changes. What's the best way to increase the salinity if it drops below the preferred level?
I just mix up some salt water and use that for top off for a few days until the salinity gets to where I need it to be.

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long you had the purple queen Anthias and what do you feed them.

Regards.

They eat pellets and Hikari frozen mysis cubes. I have had them for a little over a year.

WOW..I COULD SIT BACK WITH A GOOD BOTTLE OF COGNAC AND WATCH THIS VIDEO FOR A WHILE...I AM SO JEALOUS...IS THAT A 72" TANK ??...IT IS REALLY BEAUTIFUL...

Thank you, the tank is 72" long 36" deep and 24" tall, 3 sides starphire glass.

Last edited:

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feldman's results showed that skimmers remove no dissolved organic compounds.

Activated carbon is very effective. Purigen I'm assuming is also.
Bacteria as well.

An accurate DOC hobbie test kit would be an extremely benifcial asset.
I don't think Ken said skimmers don't remove DOC's but rather said skimmer are ineffective at removing DOC's . His measurements show that skimmers can remove up to 30 % of DOC's.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the primary reason to have a skimmer. Sure if you are going skimmerless you need to do water changes but I don't think you accumulate DO as much if you have an efficient skimmer.
You're right about that. However, a skimmer only removes 20-40% of organics. Water changes are nutrient export and dilution. There are things that are not tested by Triton that would also get diluted by water changes.
Not at all trying to say you have to do water changes, my point is just that there are benefits to them and it's not correct to say "water changes are only for trace element replenishment and removal of nitrates only".

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a legit question: Why?

What does Triton, or whatever, do for you that changing water did not? I assume that this is not money driven since salt is surely cheaper than full-blown Triton. I also assume that Triton takes work, so it cannot be a time thing. Are folks just wanting to tinker and try something new? I am genuinely curious.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back