Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice job!

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right about that. However, a skimmer only removes 20-40% of organics. Water changes are nutrient export and dilution. There are things that are not tested by Triton that would also get diluted by water changes.
Not at all trying to say you have to do water changes, my point is just that there are benefits to them and it's not correct to say "water changes are only for trace element replenishment and removal of nitrates only".

But how do we generally measure nutrients in the tank, by measuring nitrates. High nutrient system is generally high Nitrates, low nutrient system is one with zero nitrates. There is definitely other ways you can measure your nutrients but a quick look at your nitrate levels will almost always put you in the ballpark.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much money, time, effort, and/or stability do you "No water change" guys save/achieve?

I do large frequent water changes on my system and dose very little, just Kalk and some vinegar. However I would like to know what did you guys start to observe as far as any changes to your system?

OP
OP
nashorn

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right about that. However, a skimmer only removes 20-40% of organics. Water changes are nutrient export and dilution. There are things that are not tested by Triton that would also get diluted by water changes.
Not at all trying to say you have to do water changes, my point is just that there are benefits to them and it's not correct to say "water changes are only for trace element replenishment and removal of nitrates only".
I was wondering about that too but thought
How much money, time, effort, and/or stability do you "No water change" guys save/achieve?

I do large frequent water changes on my system and dose very little, just Kalk and some vinegar. However I would like to know what did you guys start to observe as far as any changes to your system?
I think each tank is different so what works for me (No water change) may not work for others.
I'm a year down the road and I have the best colors ever. Tank is stable but I don't chase numbers.
I'm a old school reefer so grew grew tired of debt since I had great numbers but awful-looking tank
Nowadays I look for telltale signs in my tank for any problems
Only thing I regret not measuring was salinity since it was stable for so long I stopped measuring and it screwed me up.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_0991.JPG
IMG_0567.JPG
No
IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_0326.JPG
My dosing routine take me about 3 min every morning. I test alk everyday another 3 min so 6 min I'm done. My skimmer has a neck cleaner and I have a pump to suck out waste twice a day control by apex so not much for me to do. I have a calcium reactor for alk cal and mag. I dose AF components ABC for trace element and zeobak and zeostart3 for phosphate N nitrate.
The growth picture is from March to sep

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think Ken said skimmers don't remove DOC's but rather said skimmer are ineffective at removing DOC's . His measurements show that skimmers can remove up to 30 % of DOC's.
No, that was 30% of TOC.

The analysis of skimate showed that it was almost totally Particulate Organic Matter.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies. I should have stated TOC.
That being said IMO skimming is very important if you are carbon dosing.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what happens after that 20-40% is removed. Does the skimmer no longer work?

Does the skimmer maintain the system at being 20-40% free of organics?

If the skimmer is capable of keeping your water at a particular lever of organics, what percentage of organics is being removed from that point forward?

If we are to interpret Ken's study as the way most do.... A skimmer can only remove 30%, that means as more organics are introduced, the skimmer will only remove 30% of those organics. This eventually will yield an over abundance of organics in the tank, right?

IMO, that doesn't happen. Why? Because once it gets to that point at which the skimmer can maintain, it begins removing much closer to 100% of the orgainic levels being introduced. Am I wrong in this assessment or does the study prove me wrong?

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what happens after that 20-40% is removed. Does the skimmer no longer work?

Does the skimmer maintain the system at being 20-40% free of organics?

If the skimmer is capable of keeping your water at a particular lever of organics, what percentage of organics is being removed from that point forward?

If we are to interpret Ken's study as the way most do.... A skimmer can only remove 30%, that means as more organics are introduced, the skimmer will only remove 30% of those organics. This eventually will yield an over abundance of organics in the tank, right?

IMO, that doesn't happen. Why? Because once it gets to that point at which the skimmer can maintain, it begins removing much closer to 100% of the orgainic levels being introduced. Am I wrong in this assessment or does the study prove me wrong?
I was particularly interested in his results regarding Disolved Organics, & they showed a skimmer removes basically none.
Now, his testing for activated carbon showed 80% effectiveness at removing Disolved Organics.
So, if i want to feel confident that I'm removing something from my tank that is invisible, & something i cannot measure, I'll use activated carbon.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's saying his analizer cannot detect dissolved organic compounds.

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was particularly interested in his results regarding Disolved Organics, & they showed a skimmer removes basically none.
Now, his testing for activated carbon showed 80% effectiveness at removing Disolved Organics.
So, if i want to feel confident that I'm removing something from my tank that is invisible, & something i cannot measure, I'll use activated carbon.

Anyone have a link to Feldman's article? I tried googling it but no bueno.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's saying his analizer cannot detect dissolved organic compounds.
No.

"A second, more comprehensive skimmate chemical analysis was pursued to address this concern.

Skimmate Liquid Analysis
The bottom line, however, is that the skimmate liquid contains mostly the common inorganic ions that constitute the major ions in seawater. Only a small amount of this material can be arguably assigned to dissolved organic carbon, DOC.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 96 80.7%
  • Other.

Back