No water change sps tank?

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many others trying this?
I'm almost a year without since my last change.
Tank has never looked better.
I think I may have it dialed in.
So what should I look out for?

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many others trying this?
I'm almost a year without since my last change.
Tank has never looked better.
I think I may have it dialed in.
So what should I look out for?
I'd be curious about your DOC management. What mechanisms you employ to remove it. How you know the toxic variety aren't increasing. And how you know your not over stripping DOC from the water column?

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 18 months of no water changes.

File_Jul_05,_1_23_45_PM.jpg

OP
OP
nashorn

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I try not to do any testing. I gauge everything base on how the sps look.
Color ,PE any stn ....lol
So yea kinda winging it.

I do volka dose and run a Zeovit reactor to grow the sps good source ( I don't really know if that works) I do not follow the Zeovit instructions .

So far only problem I have been counter was salinity which went low because of my complacency .

For you long term guys anything I should look out for?

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
Wow! no skimmer
Got to have a few toys in the tub.
I maybe heading down the same path one day.

Surely one day you should be able to. Once matured, the system itself is self sustainable with very minimal reefer intervention. One day my friend, one day!

P/S: Experimenting with algae trough now, thinking of bringing PO4 down further to 0.0x range. Hopefully will see some better result on growth and coloration.

Last edited:

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to share a recent ICP test results report?
Sure thing. Test is from 4 months ago (I test every 4-5 months). Phosphates are high at 0.4, but I'm not having any issues so I'm not really worrying about it. Also you will see Tungsten showing up, That took a while to find the cause and ended up being from the Ecotech Vortech mp-40 in my frag tank. I opened up the wet side of the mp-40, the shaft had rust all around it. Turns out they use tungsten alloy shafts made in china that seem to leach into the water column.

Zinc and Iodine are a little high (I dose them), so I will adjusted my dosing based on the test.

I do not carbon dose and I do not use GFO. Tank has been up for about 9 years. switched to Triton dosing In January 2016. But I only changed dosing for my Calcium reactor, everything else I had been doing I just continued, except for water changes, they make no sense now. I have been doing Nitrates for 3-4 years, and water changes started to be counter productive. The only pint in doing water changes is to reduce nitrates and add trace elements. I am getting the trace elements from dosing and I need the nitrates for coloration. Anyway, here are my test results.

00013152.jpg

00013153.jpg

00013154.jpg

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JBNY Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. You mentioned the only point of water changes is to reduce nitrate and add trace elements but there are other benefits too. Like, dilution of dissolved organics for one.

Last edited:

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JBNY nice colonies. How old are those?. Very well thought on arrangements as well. Unlike mine, soon they will touch each other from every direction. I might end up with new stick species next year :D

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JBNY Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. You mentioned the only point of water changes is to reduce nitrate and add trace elements but there are other benefits too. Like, dilution of dissolved organics for one.

That's the primary reason to have a skimmer. Sure if you are going skimmerless you need to do water changes but I don't think you accumulate DO as much if you have an efficient skimmer.

@JBNY nice colonies. How old are those?. Very well thought on arrangements as well. Unlike mine, soon they will touch each other from every direction. I might end up with new stick species next year :D

The colonies are about 18 months old, some more some less. Yeah people think I am crazy when I tell them to put frags no less than 6-8" away from each other. This is not my first rodeo, corals grow very fast once they are established and soon they will be growing into each other if not placed with enough forethought on how they will grow.

OP
OP
nashorn

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the primary reason to have a skimmer. Sure if you are going skimmerless you need to do water changes but I don't think you accumulate DO as much if you have an efficient skimmer.

The colonies are about 18 months old, some more some less. Yeah people think I am crazy when I tell them to put frags no less than 6-8" away from each other. This is not my first rodeo, corals grow very fast once they are established and soon they will be growing into each other if not placed with enough forethought on how they will grow.

Please don't tell me they started out as 1in frags...lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back