No water change sps tank?

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't seem to comprehend his very next statement regarding the section you have circled.

Quote - "A second, more comprehensive skimmate chemical analysis was pursued to address this concern."

That analysis showed -

Skimmate Liquid Analysis.

The bottom line, however, is that the skimmate liquid contains mostly the common inorganic ions that constitute the major ions in seawater. Only a small amount of this material can be arguablyassigned to dissolved organiccarbon, DOC.
You do a very good job of deflecting questions.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10%

IMG_0128.PNG

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Inorganic ions (Na, Cl, K, Ca, Mg, SO42-, HCO3-, SiOxHy) 87%
  • Dissolved organic carbon 10%
  • Water 6%
  • Total 103%
So, we have overshot the theoretical maximum content of 100% by 3%; not too bad, given the many approximations and assumptions that went into the acquisition of these percentages. The bottom line, however, is that the skimmate liquid contains mostly the common inorganic ions that constitute the major ions in seawater. Only a small amount of this material can be arguably assigned to dissolved organic carbon, DOC.
---------------------------------

Thats 10% of the liquid skimate, not the percentage of DOC removed from the aquarium water.
If that helps?

Last edited:

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed but 10% is not zero?
Thats 10% of the liquid skimate, not the percentage of DOC removed from the aquarium water.

And i said "almost no DOC."

The amount of DOC removed from the aquarium water is inconsequential.

Can you twist it anyother way?

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a firm believer that no WC is working just fine, same goes to a tank with WC. I saved a lot on money and time, how much saving will depend on your total water volume. At 75G, my dosing regime hardly hit USD100 per year, and that includes AF energy, vitality and amino mix along with kalk, potassium chloride, mg, iron, stronti, iodide and occasional dosing of calcium chloride and bicarbonate. For nutrient control, I am on DIY denitrator (carbon induced), monthly changed GAC (less than USD3 per 1kg bag, no skimmer) in a small 10G sump with filter socks.

Non WC is definitely not for everyone, if you can afford doing WC, I would say just continue doing it. If you are interested with non WC tank, you have to find the best dosing regime that works for your tank and I can tell you that it is not as easy as ABC/123.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran my 125-gallon with no water changes for 3 years, my 215-gallon for 3 years, and currently setup another 215-gallon when I moved in April that I plan to use the same method.

Old 125g a couple months before upgrading:

Old 215g before moving:

I use a calcium reactor for foundation element supplementation, a skimmer rated for two times the volume, gfo, bio pellets, and activated carbon. I keep lots of fish and feed Lots! Heavy import, heavy export.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The no water change for SPS tanks only?
What about mixed reefs? LPS and SPS?

I am a non WC mixed reef, SPS dominated with kenya tree, toadstool, devils finger, favias, open brains, zoas, sun coral, GSP, blastos, micromussa, mushrooms, christmas tree worms, porites, galaxea and golden cloves. Some LPS were my first corals more than 3 years ago.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a non WC mixed reef, SPS dominated with kenya tree, toadstool, devils finger, favias, open brains, zoas, sun coral, GSP, blastos, micromussa, mushrooms, christmas tree worms, porites, galaxea and golden cloves. Some LPS were my first corals more than 3 years ago.

Cool! I have a mixed reef that is a bare bottom 93 gallon cube tank. I have lots of chaeto in my refugium. I also run a skimmer and use filter socks before and after my refugium. The socks collect a lot of detritus and pods mini stars, and snails.
I would like to go to no water changes, as well as have no daily filter socks. I do have an issue with excess detritus on the floor of the display tank. When cleaning detritus I sipone it up and have the hose empty into a sock in the sump so no water leaves system it just deposits the detritus into a sock for easy removal. After doing that I'll sometimes do a water change.
In my case would you just vacuum the detritus into a filter sock to clean up excess detritus and extra organic and stop doing water changes?

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I have a mixed reef that is a bare bottom 93 gallon cube tank. I have lots of chaeto in my refugium. I also run a skimmer and use filter socks before and after my refugium. The socks collect a lot of detritus and pods mini stars, and snails.
I would like to go to no water changes, as well as have no daily filter socks. I do have an issue with excess detritus on the floor of the display tank. When cleaning detritus I sipone it up and have the hose empty into a sock in the sump so no water leaves system it just deposits the detritus into a sock for easy removal. After doing that I'll sometimes do a water change.
In my case would you just vacuum the detritus into a filter sock to clean up excess detritus and extra organic and stop doing water changes?

I didn't use socks in either the 125g or the 215g during their 3 years each of no water changes. There was a 2-3" layer in my sump of detritus with no issues.

9f3c746e3cf207f51334c177e039f226.jpg

df67482eb68898f68792deead3fe64a1.jpg

811437cbd83513e6e95a6c5e2e320eb1.jpg

3e3a561e29a48a77dadc400f94432e08.jpg

5f8194fcde0a53cc72a7e9a1f039916b.jpg

inh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It not that something bad always happens it's just that they grow right into each other and you end up with a mass of acros all trying to live in this tiny area, some will do well and other will not. Also it can really sometimes cause recession problems if the coral stop water flowing to the underside of the corals.

I have 55 fish in a 270gallon tank I feed 12 cubes of mysis and 6 pinches of pellets a day. I also dose nitrates to keep 5-10ppm of NO3 in the tank.

No I removed the Ca reactor when I started dosing.

I just mix up some salt water and use that for top off for a few days until the salinity gets to where I need it to be.

If your still dosing why not still use the Calc reactor? Did you run into issue with it?

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Emmmm, not filter sock really, more likely a coffee strainer :D. A picture of my 10G sump with nothing in it except my bacteria driven reactor, a coffee strainer, a small wavemaker as stirrer, an air stone for aeration at night and a bag of cheap activated carbon along with a return pump. This is my tank life support system that enable me running a SPS dominated tank with no WC.

WPDrawing2017-23-03_07_23_16(2).jpg

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a calcium reactor for foundation element supplementation, a skimmer rated for two times the volume, gfo, bio pellets, and activated carbon. I keep lots of fish and feed Lots! Heavy import, heavy export.

Emmmm, not filter sock really, more likely a coffee strainer :D. A picture of my 10G sump with nothing in it except my bacteria driven reactor, a coffee strainer, a small wavemaker as stirrer, an air stone for aeration at night and a bag of cheap activated carbon along with a return pump. This is my tank life support system that enable me running a SPS dominated tank with no WC.

So similarities in your systems are :

Gas exchange device air stone / skimmer
nitrate phosphate removal bacteria reactor / bio pellet and or GFO
export organics and polish the water Activated carbon

So with a phosphate nitrate removal system the WC are not necessary.
It sounds like the WC may even be like training wheels they can help but throw you off balance or slow you down as well by changing many of your parameters in the aquarium.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys test for phosphates and nitrates?
If so, how often? If you are not testing now did you in the past?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't use socks in either the 125g or the 215g during their 3 years each of no water changes. There was a 2-3" layer in my sump of detritus with no issues.
I can attest to the 2-3" of detrius...I helped move the tank...the sump was funky :confused: but man, that tank is proof that "funky" works!

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your still dosing why not still use the Calc reactor? Did you run into issue with it?

Why would I use a Ca reactor if I am dosing? Other than filling up a container once a month I don't do anything when dosing. I used a Ca Reactor for 15 years on my various SPS tanks. I had great success with it. But I don't think it is needed when you are dosing. One or the other my friend.

Do you guys test for phosphates and nitrates?
If so, how often? If you are not testing now did you in the past?

I test phosphate maybe once every 3 or 4 months. I moved away from caring about too much about phosphates, they are not nearly as important as we have been led to believe. I noticed no difference in my tank when I have 0.01 ppm of P or as high as 0.5 ppm of P. Last time I tested back in July I as at 0.43 ppm. I test Nitrates maybe once a month, they are at 5-10 ppm, but I dose KNO3 to keep then at that level.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back