No water change

gkf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers
Recently I have been having a algae issue. Bought vibrant reef cleaner about a month ago and 4 treatments later with great results.
I have a modest setup 75 gal main tank with a 40 gal sump, lots of rock and corals, 3 small fish with a few snails. I feed every other day just once. All are very healthy and fish are about 4 years old.
Temp is around 78.9 to 79.2 salt is 1.026 Calcium 440 alk 9 mag 1380 and pH 8.2 day and 7.9 at night
Every 2 weeks 20 gal water change
So after the vibrant was added and it corrected my dirty tank look it got me thinking, with 400.00 per year in salt and it not making any change why do it?
I dose kalkwasser by dip and clean skimmer every second day

So anyone else not changing water? What do any of you then add as a additive so support a healthy tank?

Last edited:

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the water change - no water change topic is a hot button issue and you'll hear lots of input. There are tons of articles and posts on this...it's interesting and you'll enjoy the research. Just type in "reef no water changes" and have fun!

One note though...this has gone back and forth and we've learned more about trace elements and what's needed to keep livestock healthy. So treat older posts/information accordingly and see if newer information supports or contradicts before implementing.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
When your nitrates and phosphates go up you need to do a water change to lower them.
As far as trace elements, if you’re not doing water changes you’ll need to replace them. The more corals you have the more you’ll have to replace.
With a newish tank with lil to no coral the only reason you should need a wc is nutrient levels going up

So what’s your nutrient levels?
Best to check in morning before lights come on.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not changing water except when I sell corals (I replace 5g/mo from this in a 250g system). I support the trace element and major/minor elements by dosing ATI Essentials Pro + Iodide supplements since my system seems to use more than what ATI supplies.
I’ve been very happy so far (1yr on no-WC)

OP
OP
G

gkf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry I forgot to mention
I test 0 nitrate and .028 phos
I used to keep the phos at 0 but zoas close
With just a hint of phos seems to be better
All corals open puffy in the day time lighting
I use all led and a full Apex control for sunrise and sunset
I have Coraline growing everywhere and encrusting corals grow about 1 inch out per year
Sump has large refug area with a big ball of cheato
I remove half every week

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates look good. I’d dose to get your nitrates readable though.. 2-5ppm minimum. I run quite a bit higher but have to dose often to keep mine from bottoming out. I don’t feed lightly either lol

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, some nitrates are good. If they get up near 10-15, time to lower.
Have been running my 220 with 55g fuge, and 30 long sump for 7 years without a wc. Also dose kalk, but with auto top off, and didn’t start dosing trace elements till recently. Probably should have started dosing way sooner but from the school of don’t dose what you don’t check first.

OP
OP
G

gkf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome guys
Thank you for your thoughts
Ordered today some reef essential trace element and I will start dosing when I can
I thought my water was clear but after a month of vibrant it is crazy clear. Great product
It makes it look like I have changed lighting
I have a lobo on my sandbed and it is so plump full looking so more light getting to it in the clear water

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back