No water changes, heresy?

Mark_C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a maintenance free 40g 'pest tank' over 3 years ago. Never had a WC since the start, and no filtration to speak of, just a sump with heater, return, and a spot where Ic an throw some carbon if the tank smells up in the summer at all. I've thrown miscellaneous frags, hitchhikers, rubble rock, and jerk fish in there. A few large snails, a shy mantis shrimp, a damsel, and a few skunk shrimp make up the big stock. Coral-wise tank is filled with xenia and misc palys, 3 different types of zoas, 4-5 species of mushrooms, and some interesting sponges, all of which were frag remnants or hitchers on rubble. The tank is packed with life.
Its actually improving over time. No idea on parameters, I never check, I just make sure salinity and temp are OK.
In my 120 main display , with WC, monitoring, and dosing, I have nowhere near as much growth.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a maintenance free 40g 'pest tank' over 3 years ago. Never had a WC since the start, and no filtration to speak of, just a sump with heater, return, and a spot where Ic an throw some carbon if the tank smells up in the summer at all. I've thrown miscellaneous frags, hitchhikers, rubble rock, and jerk fish in there. A few large snails, a shy mantis shrimp, a damsel, and a few skunk shrimp make up the big stock. Coral-wise tank is filled with xenia and misc palys, 3 different types of zoas, 4-5 species of mushrooms, and some interesting sponges, all of which were frag remnants or hitchers on rubble. The tank is packed with life.
Its actually improving over time. No idea on parameters, I never check, I just make sure salinity and temp are OK.
In my 120 main display , with WC, monitoring, and dosing, I have nowhere near as much growth.

Let's see some pictures. Reminds me of the old school Lee ling tanks where he had nothing but an airstone. I am betting you have a ton of xenia. They are your nitrate sponge. Also seems like you don't need to put much food in. I'd suggest adding a little iodine for ***** and giggles and see if the mushroom and other softies really color up and explode.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not true IMO.
I planned and started my 120 as a " no water change system" from the start.
It can, has been done, and is still being done, on many systems.

Not recommended for a beginner though.

I dosed 2 part and trace elements from day one.
At 6 months carx startup with manmade media.

Simple basic system of 7" filter sock, skimmer, carx, ato, and 3 liters of eheim substrate pro in a mesh bag.
11 fish over 50 corals, snails, 3 shrimp, 2 brittle stars, 2 urchins.
Bare bottom, heavy flow, feed 2+ cubes frozen 3-4 times a day.

Only wayer that is new is to replace skimmer nog and to raise sg when needed.

11 months since startup.
It can be done but requires knowledge on how its done.

Hard to get a good pic with phone but I just took this one.
20200523_144219.jpg

Tanks looks great! Can you give more specifics on man made media? I also run a CaRx but have always used ARM.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks looks great! Can you give more specifics on man made media? I also run a CaRx but have always used ARM.
I run Tunze media. It disolves at a ph 6.8.
A few others here have switched do to no coral bones currently being available.

20200518_065746.jpg

ActualProof

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not done water changes in 2 years. Decided to do one because everyone says "you MUST do water changes every week!".. once I did, half my SPS died.

5 months later with no water changes, things perked up and looks much happier.

I also have not tested in all this time either- i let the corals tell me if something's wrong. I'll occasionally throw in calcium, alk and all the other stuff without really measuring and things look great and growing. I am happy.

I'll dump out the skimmer and clean out the carbon reactor as needed.
My anxiety is through the roof!!! LOLOLOLOL good for you, my friend!!!

Mark_C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see some pictures. Reminds me of the old school Lee ling tanks where he had nothing but an airstone. I am betting you have a ton of xenia. They are your nitrate sponge. Also seems like you don't need to put much food in. I'd suggest adding a little iodine for ***** and giggles and see if the mushroom and other softies really color up and explode.

You'd be right on the Xenia. This is a 3 year tank with ATO only, never a WC or test, completely built from random rubble and 'unwanted things' thrown in. Maintenance for last 3 years has been filling up the ATO every week, a small pinch of food each night, and dropping in the occasional chunk of meat for the mantis shrimp.
IMG_1158.jpeg
IMG_1141.jpeg
IMG_1145.jpeg
IMG_1147.jpeg
IMG_1156.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back