No way my phosphate is this high

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a sps dominant reef. I was blown away to see .47 on my hanna. Tank has never looked cleaner and all my sticks are healthy and growing but probably not as fast as they could be? My nitrates are 25-30ppm.

It freaked me out a bit when i saw it, so I swapped my carbon for GFO and over a few weeks brought it down to .15 where I felt more comfortable. Took quite a bit of GFO to bring the 200g down. I sat there and watched it creep back up over 2 weeks to 3.5.

I know I'm not methodical enough to constantly test and replace my GFO so for me it was just going to cause parameter instability. It's in a out of sight out of mind category now :) I test from time to time out of curiosity and its always in the .35-.45 range now
GroupShots 10.16.20-1.jpg

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run a sps dominant reef. I was blown away to see .47 on my hanna. Tank has never looked cleaner and all my sticks are healthy and growing but probably not as fast as they could be? My nitrates are 25-30ppm.

It freaked me out a bit when i saw it, so I swapped my carbon for GFO and over a few weeks brought it down to .15 where I felt more comfortable. Took quite a bit of GFO to bring the 200g down. I sat there and watched it creep back up over 2 weeks to 3.5.

I know I'm not methodical enough to constantly test and replace my GFO so for me it was just going to cause parameter instability. It's in a out of sight out of mind category now :) I test from time to time out of curiosity and its always in the .35-.45 range now
GroupShots 10.16.20-1.jpg
That’s interesting and just earlier this week I was talking with people who kept trying to say my issues were related to having no phosphate

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to look into phosphate removal products like Phosphat E from Brightwell, Phosbuster from Caribsea. They remove a set amount of phosphate perdose for given aquarium sizes, so you can bring the phosphate down slowly.

I have used phosbuster from caribsea and it works as advertised. I then added a small amount of phosguard to a reactor to keep phosphates down.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting and just earlier this week I was talking with people who kept trying to say my issues were related to having no phosphate
If it's truly not detectable in your system that could definitely be an issue. Every system I've had that was close to zero n03/po4 was very unstable and pale when it came to acropora. I've overshot the nutrients by quite a bit but it's still a healthier system then when it was too clean. I also have less algae, somehow.

What are you experiencing?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's truly not detectable in your system that could definitely be an issue. Every system I've had that was close to zero n03/po4 was very unstable and pale when it came to acropora. I've overshot the nutrients by quite a bit but it's still a healthier system then when it was too clean. I also have less algae, somehow.

What are you experiencing?
For me my torch’s are doing great my aros seem happy. My zoas don’t seem to be growing though and I think I’m getting a warning light from the tank though as hairline alage is starting to grow lightly in spots but my lawn mower urchins are loving it. So over all no noticeable issue but going to still work to drop the number. Also I’m getting some corlaine alage growth which is great as well

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back