OP
OP
HmoneyReefOkc

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the kind comments. My best friend is in the hobby and he is keeping most of my corals safe until it’s ready. This tank can’t be completed soon enough for me but for all the right reasons we are taking our time and ensuring everything is done to Bill at Custom Reef Creations satisfaction and worthy of his builds. He seriously is SO OCD and particular about everything on his builds so it’s always an incredible end result. I’ll reply to many of the comments then throw in some pics. The insanely awesome new skimmer came in today from My Reef Creations (MRC) and so pics are due.

OP
OP
HmoneyReefOkc

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you use the marco putty to create a lip around the base rock to keep detritus from settling? I like the concept. I usually use acrylic rods or pvc pipe to suspend the rock up an inch or so from the sand to allow flow underneath

Justin- the E-Marco-400 is an aquascaping mortar so it is used to secure rock in place to each other and where necessary we use it on the bottom of the rock to further secure it as a stable structure that won’t tip over. Especially on the top heavy pieces. We also like to have as minimal rock on the sandbed as possible for asthetic and flow purposes. The mortar on the bottom will mostly be covered by sand and then what isn’t will have coraline or zoas in time.

Nice rock work so far!

Thanks Rev! Wait till it’s all in place in the tank. It should be quite different from most aquascapes and a real crowd pleaser.

nice build.. am I looking at this right.. garage renovation.. reef style ?
Yep! You are right Chicago. Two and half car garage overhaul with front viewing panel in the living room.

Good stuff man.
Thanks Robbie!

Following along! Epic build!

Thanks Flippers!

That is beautiful,can't wait to see it done. I am in OKC too. Where are you planning on getting fish from?

Hey Saltdaddy,
Most of my fish have always come from Custom Reef Creations as he QT’s them all. Also, I do try to frequent all of the LFS as I feel they and their success are vital to our hobby surviving and expanding. Each LFS always has great and different things to offer so I do and will shop at them all. If I am looking for something rare that our LFS don’t have or can’t get I also utilize Michael at NYAquatic and BlueZoo.

How awesome! I’m following!!!

Thanks Dizz!

Following, very nice!

Thanks Jerry!

Following! Excited!

Thanks MSB!

Really cool!

Thanks Boozeman! I also like booze!

This is going to be insane!! Can't wait for the outcome.
Thanks! Hope to not disappoint!

Pretty Awesome. I look forward to watching the build. While trying to resist following the example.

Ha! Hopefully you’ll learn something to utilize or follow.

When I hit the lottery this is what I’m going to do. Super cool

Sweet! I’d love to hit the lottery too! Although many who see my wife would say I already have...

Looking good! This thread has me all amped up because tomorrow I get my custom 300 from Planet Aquariums.

Killer!!! Kirb- you won’t be disappointed. I’ll never own another tank that isn’t made by them.

Love the fish selection. Got a Quoyi pair and about 15-20 different shrimp. No issues. Peaceful and amazing! You’d be amazed at how little I paid for the pair at my LFS.

NICE!! I’d be over the moon if I found a pair! Glad to hear you havnt had issues with your shrimp. I assume the same in re to with your corals.

goes to show - its never big enough...
absolutely love it... looks amazing - and looking forward to updates.

That’s the truth. Thanks!

are you gonna paint the back black?

No, I want to be able to see the tank from the back when in the garage and working on it. We’ll have a very thick and dark black or blue curtain behind the back and side of the tank which can open and close when i’m In the garage. If we have room for a track i’d like to hook it up to google home or my security system to open and close remotely. If not, we’ll either Velcro or shower rod style wrap it.

This is a stunning build so far! Can't wait for more. Wife yelled at me a few times while looking at this saying I don't need any more ideas haha.

Thanks H8ed Purdie! If your wife really loves you... she’ll understand and support you and your passions! ;)

This is defiantly follow and alert worthy!!!!

Thanks Sundog! I’ve got a bleach blonde standard poodle that could be considered a sundog.

Definitely following. Man that is so cool

Thanks Ferrell!

A tip, you can use a chop saw w concrete blade and cut your rock, and use hole saws to put holes in, makes staking nicer, easy shelf rock, take your time and think hard about the look your after and the methods to achieve it, please don't rush the most important part, the aquasqape , it's vitally important to flow and growth, what's on the menu sps tank?
ca586e95a34243c472ba311309fce947.jpg
ecef8738d9159879246aca61b6967aed.jpg

Thanks Kenneth! I have had two 6’ folding tables on the side of our house for months with rock on it that I kept rearranging and drawing up how different rocks would/could look in the end result. I agree it’s a majorly vital part.

Thanks Crazy!

Incredible attention to detail so far...looking forward to updates!

Thanks DBraun!

Amazing build so far, I look forward to seeing the progression of this tank. Is Michelob Ultra sponsoring this build with all the product placement in your photos? ;Joyful

Thanks Gig’em. I can’t wait either. Michelob Ultra is pretty much all I drink. I wish they sponsored me. I certainly sponsor them.

Few gyres at the end of that bad boy and you have a pretty sweet little lap pool :)

Ws6 you are right! I have about 13 gyres I think... this DT will have 6 new ones (4 280 and 2 250). Frag tank will also have a few of the older models. I’ve been an early adopter of them since they came out and I am addicted to flow... hence also having countless vortechs and adding 10-12 new WAV’s on this. I’d go with vortechs on this tank but my old 200 only could support mp60’s due to thickness of glass and even then they’d often fall so if I use any of their powerheads they’ll be in the rock sump or main sump.
This is going to be awesome.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used quikrete hydraulic cement in joining my dry rock. It's very similar to the Marco cement, but drilled holes into each piece of rock using a masonary drill bit and used fiberglass rod to stabilize each piece to each piece. Then I used the cement to fill in at the joints. Creates a stronger, longer lasting bond.

There was a long thread on RC about this years ago. Cement alone may not be enough long term. Jmtcw.

One thing I forgot to add, if the cement is mixed with the right consistently, it can be a very strong bond. So much so as it will not crack, but the dry rock may crack around the cement. First time I used the cement and let it cure, the rock above which was very large, cracked around the cement joint, leaving part of the rock attached to the lower rock. If the rocks hadn't been drilled and fiberglass rod inserted into each rock, the larger top rock would have fallen to the sand bed or against the glass.

Dry rock may seem tough, but it's actually very brittle and easily broken.

Last edited:

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin- the E-Marco-400 is an aquascaping mortar so it is used to secure rock in place to each other and where necessary we use it on the bottom of the rock to further secure it as a stable structure that won’t tip over. Especially on the top heavy pieces. We also like to have as minimal rock on the sandbed as possible for asthetic and flow purposes. The mortar on the bottom will mostly be covered by sand and then what isn’t will have coraline or zoas in time.

Thanks Rev! Wait till it’s all in place in the tank. It should be quite different from most aquascapes and a real crowd pleaser.

Yep! You are right Chicago. Two and half car garage overhaul with front viewing panel in the living room.

Thanks Robbie!

Thanks Flippers!

Hey Saltdaddy,
Most of my fish have always come from Custom Reef Creations as he QT’s them all. Also, I do try to frequent all of the LFS as I feel they and their success are vital to our hobby surviving and expanding. Each LFS always has great and different things to offer so I do and will shop at them all. If I am looking for something rare that our LFS don’t have or can’t get I also utilize Michael at NYAquatic and BlueZoo.

Thanks Dizz!

Thanks Jerry!

Thanks MSB!

Thanks Boozeman! I also like booze!

Thanks! Hope to not disappoint!

Ha! Hopefully you’ll learn something to utilize or follow.

Sweet! I’d love to hit the lottery too! Although many who see my wife would say I already have...

Killer!!! Kirb- you won’t be disappointed. I’ll never own another tank that isn’t made by them.

NICE!! I’d be over the moon if I found a pair! Glad to hear you havnt had issues with your shrimp. I assume the same in re to with your corals.

No, I want to be able to see the tank from the back when in the garage and working on it. We’ll have a very thick and dark black or blue curtain behind the back and side of the tank which can open and close when i’m In the garage. If we have room for a track i’d like to hook it up to google home or my security system to open and close remotely. If not, we’ll either Velcro or shower rod style wrap it.

Thanks H8ed Purdie! If your wife really loves you... she’ll understand and support you and your passions! ;)

Thanks Sundog! I’ve got a bleach blonde standard poodle that could be considered a sundog.

Thanks Ferrell!

Thanks Kenneth! I have had two 6’ folding tables on the side of our house for months with rock on it that I kept rearranging and drawing up how different rocks would/could look in the end result. I agree it’s a majorly vital part.

Thanks Crazy!

Thanks DBraun!

Thanks Gig’em. I can’t wait either. Michelob Ultra is pretty much all I drink. I wish they sponsored me. I certainly sponsor them.

Same. They do chew up live rock but in a large system it will take years to notice. No attacks on corals

OP
OP
HmoneyReefOkc

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used quikrete hydraulic cement in joining my dry rock. It's very similar to the Marco cement, but drilled holes into each piece of rock using a masonary drill bit and used fiberglass rod to stabilize each piece to each piece. Then I used the cement to fill in at the joints. Creates a stronger, longer lasting bond.

There was a long thread on RC about this years ago. Cement alone may not be enough long term. Jmtcw.

One thing I forgot to add, if the cement is mixed with the right consistently, it can be a very strong bond. So much so as it will not crack, but the dry rock may crack around the cement. First time I used the cement and let it cure, the rock above which was very large, cracked around the cement joint, leaving part of the rock attached to the lower rock. If the rocks hadn't been drilled and fiberglass rod inserted into each rock, the larger top rock would have fallen to the sand bed or against the glass.

Dry rock may seem tough, but it's actually very brittle and easily broken.

Yeah I used to use various cement mixtures, puddy, super glue, pond foam, in various combinations and never had even remotely the same results as with Marco’s mortar. You should really try it. It’s the best.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, impressive to say the least. Quick question, what’s your plan to control the humidity and temps in The garage and sump room? I’m I. West Texas so we know all too well above temp swings. Again, well thought out and absolutely show worthy build you have going.

OP
OP
HmoneyReefOkc

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, impressive to say the least. Quick question, what’s your plan to control the humidity and temps in The garage and sump room? I’m I. West Texas so we know all too well above temp swings. Again, well thought out and absolutely show worthy build you have going.

Hey Tj,
I will have several 500w and 800watt heaters in the tanks with controllers. We will also be adding a mini-split to control temp and humidity.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back