Noise help with my Shadow - is this ok?

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Shadow overflow, which has been running for several months. I'm just now trying to dial in the noise. I'm running the Bean method and have discovered where I can achieve silence by adjusting my gate valve, but it requires cranking down until a lot of water is coming through the secondary pipe.

When the valve is too open, I get a whirling noise in the overflow that sounds like strong winds blowing, and the noise in the gate valve sounds like trickling water, though a lot of water is running through it. Then just before I reach silence in the gate valve, the noise in the gate valve sounds like a dishwasher. Once I close the valve just past that point, everything goes silent.

I realize I'm supposed to mess around with the PVC lengths in the overflow, but I can't reach the back of the overflow because I'm handicapped. I could get someone to help, but if I can achieve silence by just adjusting the valve, that would be great. My understanding with Bean is that the water is only supposed to trickle into the secondary pipe. I get a little more than a trickle with the gate valve wide open. Obviously the more I close the valve, the more water that goes into the secondary pipe. My guess is, I'm probably closing the gate valve to where there isn't a lot running through it, but it does make things quiet. I realize the emergency pipe would have to take a lot of capacity if something bad happened. That said, is this normal and ok?

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Shadow overflow, which has been running for several months. I'm just now trying to dial in the noise. I'm running the Bean method and have discovered where I can achieve silence by adjusting my gate valve, but it requires cranking down until a lot of water is coming through the secondary pipe.

When the valve is too open, I get a whirling noise in the overflow that sounds like strong winds blowing, and the noise in the gate valve sounds like trickling water, though a lot of water is running through it. Then just before I reach silence in the gate valve, the noise in the gate valve sounds like a dishwasher. Once I close the valve just past that point, everything goes silent.

I realize I'm supposed to mess around with the PVC lengths in the overflow, but I can't reach the back of the overflow because I'm handicapped. I could get someone to help, but if I can achieve silence by just adjusting the valve, that would be great. My understanding with Bean is that the water is only supposed to trickle into the secondary pipe. I get a little more than a trickle with the gate valve wide open. Obviously the more I close the valve, the more water that goes into the secondary pipe. My guess is, I'm probably closing the gate valve to where there isn't a lot running through it, but it does make things quiet. I realize the emergency pipe would have to take a lot of capacity if something bad happened. That said, is this normal and ok?

Hey @Crashjack

Yes you are correct with your explanation of how to dial it in. What is happening is the primary drain pipe is too short and pulling in to much water and you are restricting it too much causing the water to be forced down the secondary. This can happen in lower flow systems, usually under 1500 GPH when the pipes lengths are not sized correctly. Ideally lengthening the pipes will be the best option. They may both need to be lengthened, but the key is going to be getting them balanced. They may only need to be 1/4" to 1/2" difference in size. If you cannot do that you can also add another gate valve to the secondary to help restrict the flow in it. That will allow you to open the primary up more and balance them. In your case being handicapped it may be best anyway to add a second valve. This will give you full control from the valves and the pipe sizes are not as important.

OP
OP
Crashjack

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Crashjack

Yes you are correct with your explanation of how to dial it in. What is happening is the primary drain pipe is too short and pulling in to much water and you are restricting it too much causing the water to be forced down the secondary. This can happen in lower flow systems, usually under 1500 GPH when the pipes lengths are not sized correctly. Ideally lengthening the pipes will be the best option. They may both need to be lengthened, but the key is going to be getting them balanced. They may only need to be 1/4" to 1/2" difference in size. If you cannot do that you can also add another gate valve to the secondary to help restrict the flow in it. That will allow you to open the primary up more and balance them. In your case being handicapped it may be best anyway to add a second valve. This will give you full control from the valves and the pipe sizes are not as important.

Thanks! Any harm in temporarily closing the gate valve until the system gets quiet (also will send a lot of water through the secondary)? I have a guy that comes every two weeks to do water changes and help me with some maintenance. Probably the best long term solution is to work with him on pipe lengths.

OP
OP
Crashjack

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got someone helping me next week. What length should I try on the primary and secondary? I'm currently using the lengths in the instructions. Should I lengthen the primary and secondary each by 1/2"?

Fishhands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shadow on a 40 gallon, so i have low flow. What i did to stop the gurgle was remove the elbow on the main drain. I found it was never filling up all the way. Once it was quiet by adjusting the valve i put the elbow back on. Silence... only noise is from the trickle in the pipes. It sounds very natural and i happen to like it. Maybe that could help. If not lengthen or add a valve like suggested. Oh btw my kids love the flushing sound when i open it all the way. Lol they ask for it all the time.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shadow on a 40 gallon, so i have low flow. What i did to stop the gurgle was remove the elbow on the main drain. I found it was never filling up all the way. Once it was quiet by adjusting the valve i put the elbow back on. Silence... only noise is from the trickle in the pipes. It sounds very natural and i happen to like it. Maybe that could help. If not lengthen or add a valve like suggested. Oh btw my kids love the flushing sound when i open it all the way. Lol they ask for it all the time.
@Fishhands that's great info. Thanks for sharing!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back