Noisy Nero 3

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Nero 3 to my 65g reef. I also have a Nero 5 that I’ve had for a long time. The Nero 3 is really noisy compared to the 5. There’s nothing in it, and if I take it off the magnet, it’s quiet. So apparently some kind of vibration when on the magnet mount. I tried taking the nem guard off but that didn’t fix it. Any ideas?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about placing a thin round silicon pad between the glass and the Nero 3? The Sicce XStream I just bought came with an anti-vibration rubber/silicone pad for this express purpose.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about placing a thin round silicon pad between the glass and the Nero 3? The Sicce XStream I just bought came with an anti-vibration rubber/silicone pad for this express purpose.
I like this idea.
Personally, I only have Nero 5 with no issues but remember reading similar complaints when I was considering adding a Nero 3.

If you get desperate, maybe read this also:

Nero Vibration

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! There is a foam pad on the magnet. I wonder if sicce sells replacement silicon pads? I’ll check into that

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remembered, my Nero 5 came with a round, black, rubber or silicone pad that sits between the pump and the wet-side magnet. Does your Nero 3 already have that?

*didn't even notice it in the beginning since it came stuck to the magnet but as the pump got older I've then had it slip off when scrubbing so that's the only reason I even noticed it was there

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remembered, my Nero 5 came with a round, black, rubber or silicone pad that sits between the pump and the wet-side magnet. Does your Nero 3 already have that?

*didn't even notice it in the beginning since it came stuck to the magnet but as the pump got older I've then had it slip off when scrubbing so that's the only reason I even noticed it was there
Yes, there’s a foam pad there but it doesn’t seem adequate

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there’s a foam pad there but it doesn’t seem adequate
What I mean is between the wet-side magnet and the actual back of the pump housing,,, not touching the glass -- mine came with an attached, round, black, silicone or rubber pad (already stuck to the magnet).

Not the best picture but this pad sticks to the "cupped" side of the magnet, then the back of the pump housing sits on it:

Nero_pad.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I mean is between the wet-side magnet and the actual back of the pump housing,,, not touching the glass -- mine came with an attached, round, black, silicone or rubber pad (already stuck to the magnet).

Not the best picture but this pad sticks to the "cupped" side of the magnet, then the back of the pump housing sits on it:

Nero_pad.jpeg
Yes, it has a foam pad. It’s still noisy.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back