New AI Nero 5 making vibration noise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an AI Nero last Saturday and it was working fine. However, periodically it would make noises. It sounds like something is vibrating and it's banging against the glass. Turning it off and on make the issue go away but it would come back a day or so later. Any idea what is going on?

Halostemanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After glass thickness you should check the impeller for lubricant build up. When the water is unable to pass through the impeller ... which is a very small hole, it will rattle the pump. They have a nice YouTube video on the issue.

OP
OP
S

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After glass thickness you should check the impeller for lubricant build up. When the water is unable to pass through the impeller ... which is a very small hole, it will rattle the pump. They have a nice YouTube video on the issue.

I found that video on their website. I think that might be the issue.

OP
OP
S

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick is your glass?
What mode are you using, what is the low speed and high speed.
Where do you have the variance set?

How important is glass thickness? The issue came up again today after I had cleaned the holes of grease. It's mounted on the side of a Acqueon 40B.

Random mode
65% min
100% max
High variance

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the variance. A certain amount of increase in RPM could cause the rattling to start. I added a piece of cardboard in between the magnets.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How important is glass thickness? The issue came up again today after I had cleaned the holes of grease. It's mounted on the side of a Acqueon 40B.

Random mode
65% min
100% max
High variance

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the variance. A certain amount of increase in RPM could cause the rattling to start. I added a piece of cardboard in between the magnets.

The Nero 5 is rated up to 1/2 inch of glass which is why I asked the question.
Did you try calling Ai's customer support department?

serwobow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to your experience, in my tank most pump noise is translated from the pump directly through the glass in my 40B. This was easily eliminated by placing a piece of silicone kitchen mat (from the hardware store) on the inside of the aquarium between the pump magnet and the glass. No more vibration noise!

OP
OP
S

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to your experience, in my tank most pump noise is translated from the pump directly through the glass in my 40B. This was easily eliminated by placing a piece of silicone kitchen mat (from the hardware store) on the inside of the aquarium between the pump magnet and the glass. No more vibration noise!

Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking that might be why Ecotech include the black silicone insert with their MP powerheads.

hwastesson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you solve this? I’m on my third brand new Nero 5 thats making a really loud rattling noise. 10mm glass, followed the cleaning instructions and it makes that noise even if I hold it in my hand so it’s not vibrations translated to the glass. 3 brand new ones making the same noise, so frustrating...

serwobow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this, no guarantees, but it worked for my reefbreeder pump. Some noise translated through glass, yes, but some noise comes out anyways. Some of this noise was caused by air caught within the pump, within the rotor, between the magnets of the rotor and the motor. This basically causes the rotor to wiggle when spinning, which causes the rattling noise. To fix, assemble the pump within the tank, making sure that all bubbles leave the rotor (tilt so bubbles can escape). Like I said, different brand of pump, and maybe not a nero issue, but a potentially very easy fix worth trying.

Machpoint89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you solve this? I’m on my third brand new Nero 5 thats making a really loud rattling noise. 10mm glass, followed the cleaning instructions and it makes that noise even if I hold it in my hand so it’s not vibrations translated to the glass. 3 brand new ones making the same noise, so frustrating...
I had the same but after following that video cleaning off the extra “grease” which allowed the pump to suck in water to cool itself it solved it. Never made a noise again.

I really took a q-tip to remove it. (Statistically I don’t think all 3 can be faulty so maybe try again and combine it with the post above this one)

hwastesson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I will try both of those things, thanks.
I agree, I was thinking it might be a bad batch or something like that, but my LFS has sold a ton of these units and only had 1 sent back to them due to noise issues.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back