Noisy Overflow

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Miracles Custom tank and they like to use a glass exterior overflow with an acrylic insert with teeth.

I originally setup the tank and ran my Abyzz at about 70%. It’s been up a few weeks and ran almost silent. This morning I found a goby wedges between the acrylic insert and the glass so I took it out and removed the goby, which was obviously saddening.

My problem now is that the tank is super noisy at anything above 40%! I’ve tried adjusting the gate valve and output. I’m at a loss. My only other guess is to raise my levels in my overflow box to help the flow not fall so far. I just don’t know why it’s happening now...

image.jpg

OP
OP
TreyC2010

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I raised the secondary drain up to raise the water level and that helped the sound tremendously. However, Miracles has that acrylic insert and I guess it wasn’t fully pressed down and it began to bow from water getting between it and the back of the tank. The bowing let water trickle down for so long without much noise. When I fixed that piece, it actually showed how much water flows through the teeth. It’s still somewhat of a nuisance compared to before, but only because it was so silent.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back