Nominate: One Snail + One Fish (BEST Algae Fighting Combo)

Do you have a favorite FISH and SNAIL combo for combating algae?

• Yes and they are? (post in thread)

Votes: 110 40.1%
  • No I don't have a favorite

Votes: 164 59.9%

• Total voters

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mexican turbo + a bristle tooth tang, unless I had bubble algae in which case I would pick a foxface

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rabbitfish (preferably a foxface) will eat all types of algae, but most importantly they will consume bubble algae

i did not know this and this is great to hear! i have a one-spot foxface currently in quarantine (but with the intention of keeping my main tank caulerpa at bay).

i also have an outbreak of bubble algae and it’s smothering some assorted LPS frags. i’m not a fan of emerald crabs despite their fame as good bubble algae eaters. :(

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had quite a breakout, I found that a foxface and a tuxedo urchin did wonders cleaning up the tank in record time. The urchin isn't a snail and I know a lot of folks don't like urchins but mine does pick up stuff to carry around but as of yet has done no real damage.

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mexican turbo and any type of algae blenny

If you want to take a chance though a parrotfish is the most voracious consumer of all types of nuisance algae I have seen.

DukeLeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's have a little fun on this Monday and maybe learn something or help someone in the process! We're going to give an award to the Best Snail and Fish Algae Fighting Duo of Reef2Reef! So it's up to you to nominate your favorite! After we get the nominations in we'll create a poll and award the winner! :)

What is your favorite FISH and SNAIL for fighting algae? Pick ONE of each!

best.jpg
Yellow Tang and Trochus Snail

ainarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me lawnmower blenny and Mexican turbo. Don't appreciate the bulldozer affect from the turbos, but they do eat algae.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need something that will eat ulva...can’t get rid of it!

I had the same problem. Foxface just devoured it. Turbos and urchins do well with this stuff too. But, the foxface will likely eat it quicker—- they literally are pigs with fins.

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone likes what works for them. For me it's tuxedo urchin, 4 large babylonians, diamond goby. Hope everyone is and stays in good health.

Mincal81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much experience with all the clean up members for reef tanks, but I'
IMG_20200324_144316~2.jpg
d have to say the astraea turbo is a beast of a snail. I completely get where the turbo comes in because they do work fast! My favorite fish is reticulated hillstream loach now if I can get one that likes it salty

Pic of what one astraea turbo has done to a diatom bloom on dry rock. They've actually eaten about 60% of the diatoms on the rock aqua-scape in a week's time. That's only 2 in the tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%

Back