Non reef safe stuff in sump?

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am installing a larger (5’) remote sump that has lots of room and an attached but isolated refugium. I’m building out the refugium to have live sand and mud with a few smaller rocks from KP aquatics.

My question whether or not I can/should allows non reef safe “things” to live in the sump. Gorilla crabs, mantis, works, NRS urchins etc. is there a fear of them spawning and stuff getting to the DT or is this a common practice since they are isolated in a fuge?

Thank you

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always keep a mantis in the refugium area. I also keep green serpent stars in the refugium as well. Its unlikely that larger inverts would be successful at having eggs hatch and make it to an adult. Not to mention in some cases if there is not a pair then breeding would not be able to take place.

OP
OP
PSU4ME

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m thinking. The solid waster should help the pods too. As long as nothing is destroying the fauna I’m trying to foster I’m thinking it should be ok.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 59 46.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back