Non-toxic tet kits

Reed_J_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I don't keep a reef yet but I've been researching it for about a month now. I'll set one up once we know if we'll need to move cities next Summer. I've kept freshwater tanks and bred freshwater shrimp, and I've found that I'm really sensetive/allergic to certain water tests like the API freshwater Nitrate test. To breed neocaridina shrimp only takes a few tests, but I found alternatives that don't have a respiratory hazard, which seems to work for me.

Just wondering if anyone can share similar experiences on the reefing side of the hobby and has found test kits or checkers that no respiratory hazards.

edit: For example, the Hanna Ca checker's Safety Data Sheet is labeled for respiratory risk, but the Red Sea calcium test kit is only corrosive with no respiratory risks.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highely doubt any test kits are all natural. You need chemicals to do testing

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No non toxic test kits. But there are appropriate PPE available. Gloves glasses and masks if you feel necessary

OP
OP
Reed_J_M

Reed_J_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highely doubt any test kits are all natural. You need chemicals to do testing

No non toxic test kits. But there are appropriate PPE available. Gloves glasses and masks if you feel necessary
Thanks for your responses. The thing is I've already done research for a couple tests, like my post mentions, and corrosive is fine, or "causes eye damage", I'm really just trying to avoid things that say on Safety Data Sheets that they're respiratory irritants. These all make me feel sick.

Has anyone else had a similar respiratory sensitivity and done the research for more than just calcium to find kits that aren't respiratory irritants?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your responses. The thing is I've already done research for a couple tests, like my post mentions, and corrosive is fine, or "causes eye damage", I'm really just trying to avoid things that say on Safety Data Sheets that they're respiratory irritants. These all make me feel sick.

Has anyone else had a similar respiratory sensitivity and done the research for more than just calcium to find kits that aren't respiratory irritants?

I don’t have this condition so my opinion might be false but you may want to look at tests like read sea one where almost the whole process happening in a closed test tube. It may not be the answer for your problem but just an idea.

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of tests people do are not necessary, but you might need more experience to recognize what you don't need. When my reef is operating normally I only test alkalinity. I also do magnesium occasionally.

As an alternative to some testing you can send out an ICP test on occasion. Also, and I have no experience with this, but you can get an alkatronics that will do automatic alk testing. I think they are also working on a mastertronics that will measure many other components. These are not exactly cheap however.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a bunch of tests without a problem. But I have worked with nasty stuff and I am not horribly sensitive. Too bad you don’t have a fume hood (used in chemistry labs for working on nasty chemicals). But you would reduce the risk by working in a well ventilated environment. Or you could set up a desk fan to waft fumes away from you.

I use Red Sea Pro and Salifert Tests. They usually use a few drops of something in the test, some powder and a titrant. None of these has had any odor. I also use Hanna and for ALK, it is 1 ml of a liquid which seems innocuous. And for Phosphorous ULR, it is a powder.

But it is you and I don’t know how YOU might react. It might be a matter of buying a test kit and hoping for the best.

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are liquid reagents more likely to be safe? The Hanna alk checker is good an only uses a single liquid.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had an issue so I've never researched MSDS. Maybe get an organic vapor respirator something like this?
61mC%2BHA7jXL._SL1000_.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most kit brands use many, if not all, of the same the reagents for tests based on standard published methods, but it is true that some have already dissolved the powders in liquids for you so you may have less dust to potentially inhale.

That said, kit stability/lifetime is often increased by not predissolving the solids, and that is why many of the best kits use powders in foil packs rather than predissolving them for you. Thus you may sacrifice quality for the perceived safety.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back