OP
Dylans aquatics

Dylans aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh... the new aquamaxx bullet 3 hob skimmer would be perfect for this tank. Don't get the 1 or 2 as the 3 is easily adjusted. I have one on a 40g. Stop dosing no pox or whatever you are probably dosing and don't use any chemical filtration.
I’m using carbon in case it is a toxin

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you I’ll try to raise salainty but do you think it may be form a toadstool?
Possibly as toadstools and leathers release a toxin known as terpenes which can affect neighbor corals. Adding carbon will reduce that chance

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a bacterial bloom and everything wasn’t opened, after I plugged in a UV everything came to life and the tank looks heavenly..

OP
OP
Dylans aquatics

Dylans aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a bacterial bloom and everything wasn’t opened, after I plugged in a UV everything came to life and the tank looks heavenly..
I added a uv bulb last night so hopefully that was it. You have any old photos you can send of it or can I just get your insta and I can dm you on there. Was your water cloudy

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a uv bulb last night so hopefully that was it. You have any old photos you can send of it or can I just get your insta and I can dm you on there. Was your water cloudy

no photos of the bacterial bloom but I couldn't see a thing, literally couldn't see the rock work or more than 3-4in depth into the tank. 1 day with UV and it was better than it was in months, 2 days its CRYSTAL clear and my tank looks amazing. Everything is open and fully extended and growing. Felt like a bit of a miracle to be honest. I believe the bacterial bloom was consuming oxygen/phosphates causing everything to struggle.

I'm not an expert but the UV doesn't kill the bacteria but causes it to not be able to reproduce so you have to give it enough time to die and not reproduce for your water to clear.

Stuckita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a pic from today though, trying out an app to get rid of the blue, kind of turning the sand purple.

B7C110B1-15B1-42DD-BE98-CD09F69F58FC.jpeg 342C5B13-FC8B-4921-AC96-9A3E0748944E.jpeg

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Might be cyno. It can go away on its own but we usually use chemiclean to address it. It comes because nutrients are imbalanced. If there are bubbles on it it's probably dinos.

OP
OP
Dylans aquatics

Dylans aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be cyno. It can go away on its own but we usually use chemiclean to address it. It comes because nutrients are imbalanced. If there are bubbles on it it's probably dinos.
When I put the white light on there was no red bactieria but I’ll add some chemi clean

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I put the white light on there was no red bactieria but I’ll add some chemi clean
Chemi clean usually knocks it out in less than 48 hours. You need to get to the source of the issue or else it will return. The only downside is that it makes the skimmer go nuts for a week. I usually turn it off for 24 hours and then wetskim and throw away a lot of water for a couple days. I'll usually be back to normal within 3 days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back