Noob - “live rock” algae question

eddiegee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought an Evo 13.5 and set it up a few days ago. Been learning about live and dry rocks and weighing the benefits and possible issues with both.

Yesterday I stopped by a local fish store and bought a “live rock” from their established saltwater display to try and introduce natural good bacteria into my cycling tank. For a few bucks I took it home and set it in my new tank.

Rock appears to have green and red algae.

Posting a pic. Is This a mistake on my part? What type of algae is this rock covered in?

59C47271-3BD6-4212-A8FA-DA569920E665.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hav prefered to use fresh maricultured or wild liverock shipped air freight but I'd say your choice was better than getting rock that just had some nitrifying bacteria cultured on it (out of a bottle would be a better choice than cultured bacteria on a rock IMO) WHile some of the cryptic sponges so essential for recycling stuff in reef systems may not be real noticable but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some someplace on the rock you purchased. Here's some more info you may find helpful for understanding what's going on in your system:

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back