Noob Questions about Setup

ClearwaterReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone! I just recently created my intro post, but someone suggested I move my questions here. I copy and pasted the post to this thread. Basically, I'm curious what I should change on my setup and if this will work for now? Tank is 1.5 months old before fish. Cycle was complete.

History: I purchased this tank 2nd hand to try to see how I liked the hobby. I didn't want to invest a bunch of money on a tank for me to decide this wasn't for me and be out of thousands of dollars. The guy I picked it up from never ran a skimmer at all. I am not sure what he kept in the tank though. The equipment list is below, but I have some questions about how he had it setup. I just copied how he had it setup and I'd like your thoughts on the setup.

Equipment / Setup - 65g DT - 20g Sump - DT has a Penguin Biowheel 350 HOB on it. The Sump has a filter sock, some live rock, and another HOB filter on the sump tank. I do have room for a refugium down there, but then I am not sure where the protein skimmer would go. Do HOB filters work for Marine aquariums? Should I just ditch them all together? At this point though, I'm worried if i removed one of them, it would throw off my biofiltering. Thoughts?

Lights: The setup came with 2 Fluval Marine and Reef Pro 2.0 LED lights. I agree that the controls for dimming are a pita, but the lights seem bright. The Zoa's are open and I assume that is a good sign? I know that the lights themselves don't have amazing PAR rating, but does 2 boost that up a little? I have the lights sitting on top of the tank and I move them to where they are both over the two coral pieces. (Chalice and Zoa on LR) IS that safe? Is that help raising the PAR Levels? I spoke to someone at the LFS and they told me those lights will be okay for some Softies and maybe some easier LPS. Thoughts there?

Current Stock - 2 Clownfish, 1 Royal Gramma, 2 Skunk Cleaner shrimp.

Coral - I also have two pieces of coral that a friend gave to me. One is a piece of LR with some Zoa's on it and the other is what he called a Mushroom, but I think it is a Chalice.

I am super excited to be part of this community and hobby! The addiction is real. I am fighting every day to not just keep buying stuff to put in teh tank as I don't think it is mature enough to really be adding things. I wasn't going to add the coral, but I didn't want to be rude and say no to the free pieces.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, patience is the key of success on this hobby. Can you post pictures of your setup? Do you have an ATO?
Thanks

OP
OP
C

ClearwaterReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sypder! I see you're local! COOL! I don't have pics of my tank atm. I do not have an ATO. I do check my SG though with a Refractormeter and a Hydrometer. I get the same reading on both of 1.025-.026.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sypder! I see you're local! COOL! I don't have pics of my tank atm. I do not have an ATO. I do check my SG though with a Refractormeter and a Hydrometer. I get the same reading on both of 1.025-.026.

Great, just across the bay... :) 1.025/26 is great. I recommend that you add an ATO to your system because you can keep the salinity stable the whole time and don't have to add RODI water every day due to evaporation. Remember that water evaporate but no the salt so if is left for a few days without replenishing the lost water, salt can go up and fish and corals wouldn't be happy. I did a gravity ATO that is working perfect for over year really inexpensive.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back