NOOB Questions

Archie1219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at starting my first aquarium and wanting to set it up as a mixed reef tank with primarily softies but looking at some Other corals as well in the future. There is so much to learn that it is overwhelming. With setting it up cost is definitely a big concern as we are on a budget. With that said I don’t want to buy items just because they are cheap to need to replace them in the near future. I am looking at the Red Sea Reefer 350 which is 73 gallons in the display with dimensions 47x20x21. Here are some questions I have.

1. Lighting. I like the look of the LED lights and thing there is a lot more options regarding programmability. The Reefer has a deluxe upturn for $760 more that comes with 2 AI Hydra 26 HD modules. Is this adequate lighting of given the price is there a more recommended option that would be suggested?

2. Power heads - I know for coral you need a decent amount of water flow. What powerheads are recommended? I have been looking at the Vortech MP40wQD would that be enough or would I need 2 powerheads? Is there options that would be recommended more as I don’t think I will be able to afford 2 MP40’s initially as that adds up quick.

3. Live Rock - There are a ton of options. Would it be recommended to do live rock from the gulf? I have been looking at Tampa Bay Saltwater and their rock or other options that I have seen is Dry Rock or Real Reef Live Rock or a product called Life Rock. The prices seem to be all over the place with the lfs being about $12 a pound which is a huge expense when you are looking at 70+ pounds. The online retailers are at a huge saving but it is just determining what to get.

Any suggestions or pointers are greatly appreciated.

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are great deal on here sometimes. You can snatch up decent equipment at way lower prices. I love the Hydras I own one myself but changed it to T5 last week (more spread). About powerheads look into the Nero 5. It’s a great powerhead and for that 70 gal. I would get 2. I also started buying cheap equipment and then eventually started to upgrade. You might as well just buy the best equipment you can right now.

Forgot about the rock. Look into Marcos rock. I’d rather start with non-live rock to prevent any hitchhikers from entering my system.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
poking.gif

Welcome to R2R! :)

The lighting in the deluxe would be enough for softies and LPS corals. You could always add T5's later if you wanted. A good T5 light would be the easiest and cheapest if you are also considering SPS corals. They are proven and pretty much plug and play.

I would recommend 2 MP 40's on opposite sides, but one would be enough for soft corals. The problem would be dead spots in the flow, depending on the rock work.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back