Noob Questions

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first tank up and running (Innovative Marine 14G AIO). Have a few basic questions that I was hoping to get some opinions on.

1. My PH 7.8. Things I have read indicate I should be running 8 - 8.4. Is 7.8 close enough? Or should I look into raising the PH?

2. My return pump has 2 modes, steam and sine wave. Stream is just a consistent steam, Sine wave is more of a pulse. Will the Sine Wave mode wear out the pump faster due to the constant on/off? Any benefits of Sine Wave mode I should consider?

3. Is soap with a fragrance ok to use before sticking your hand in the tank? Or try to use something basic like Dawn?

4. Do all of my reefing supplies need rinsed off in RODI? MY tap water does contain chlorine.

Thank you,
Jib

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What test are you using, some are not reliable and I would make sure you have good test result before you try to fix a problem

2. Depends on the corals you have, SPS like streams while Softies like pulsing. My tanks are LPS and Softies so my power heads are set to pulse or surge
1597956069022.png

3.Always best to keep as much out of the tank as possible.

4. Same as above. Everything builds up over time so will one time rinse in tap water kill everything, probably not. But constantly rinse in tap water will add chemicals into the tank and over time they can build up and cause problems.

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am no expert but in my short (3-4mo) experience and research here is my 2 cents.

1) Yes it is a tad low IMO but depends what for. Are you concerned about corals health? Fish? Both? I have had numerous freshwater tanks for the last 15 years and in my experience chasing numbers is a losing game. What salt do you use to mix? RODI water or tap? Live Sand? Live Rock? Skimmer? A lot of things can impact the pH and dosing things to adjust in my experience (at least with freshwater) causes more harm. In this hobby especially, sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.

2) Not that I am aware of in terms of durability issues with the sine wave. In terms of using it, I use that for the am/pm, steady gentler stream at night, and an on/off pulse wave during the day that is a little more aggressive. Just changes the water currents in my tank to help move things around better and helps change things up for my corals rather then getting blasted in the same direction 24/7. They flow a bit more with the sine

3) I use dawn if I need to, but most times I will just rinse off my hand/arm in tap water and run hard as if I had soap. I haven't had any issues yet

4) Rocks and Sand I didn't rinse as they were live. Pumps and filter media I just rinsed in tap(mine also has chlorine), and when cleaning pumps and siphon equipment I personally just use tap and give it a few good shakes to get 99% of the water off. Depends what you refer to as 'reefing supplies'. Also I will sometimes use a little bit of Instant Ocean Marine Conditioner when doing my water changes just to be sure but never used tap water. It says it makes tap water safe but I add it to my RODI water

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3. Is soap with a fragrance ok to use before sticking your hand in the tank? Or try to use something basic like Dawn?

When doing maintenance on some of our tanks when I was young every time I would put my arm in the tank within a few hours or so we'd get an algae bloom (or something). The thought was it was the body wash I used at home. Not 100% sure but I would say be careful.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Yes it is a tad low IMO but depends what for. Are you concerned about corals health? Fish? Both? I have had numerous freshwater tanks for the last 15 years and in my experience chasing numbers is a losing game. What salt do you use to mix? RODI water or tap? Live Sand? Live Rock? Skimmer? A lot of things can impact the pH and dosing things to adjust in my experience (at least with freshwater) causes more harm. In this hobby especially, sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.
Concerned about fish and coral health when I start adding stuff. Using pre-mix saltwater from my LFS. Topping off with RODI from my LFS. They state what salt mix they use I just forget. I plan to mix my own eventually, but buying from LFS is cheap and easy to get started.

Using CaribSea live sand and rock. No skimmer. Tank is an IM 14G AIO

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the API Mater Test Kit

Appreciate the flow chart, that is helpful.. Also, appreciate the other advice.

API is not the greatest for testing I would suggest getting something else like Salifert. A simple thing to do to raise your PH is just opening some windows in your house and let fresh air in.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back