Noob rock scaping advice

Zoabowlboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've put this bit of Tonga plate in tank on top of egg crate and kind of wedged bit of plastic tube under it to keep it stable in position I want. It is reasonable size at around 7.6kg

My question is whether there is a putty or clay i can squidge under bottom while its submerged to make it more stable?

I've never tried this before and there seems to be so so many products online.
20210320_201905.jpg
20210320_201859.jpg

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a beautiful piece of rock. Looks a little close to the glass in the pictures. Are you planning to go bare bottom or will you be adding sand? The sand bed may help keep it stable, but if it were me I would glue it to a flat piece of shelf rock.

Alternatively, You could pour a bit of mortar into a mold, set the piece in while bracing it into the position you want it to sit in the tank, and allow the mortar to cure. Then you will have a stable base that will keep your piece positioned.

OP
OP
Z

Zoabowlboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a beautiful piece of rock. Looks a little close to the glass in the pictures. Are you planning to go bare bottom or will you be adding sand? The sand bed may help keep it stable, but if it were me I would glue it to a flat piece of shelf rock.

Alternatively, You could pour a bit of mortar into a mold, set the piece in while bracing it into the position you want it to sit in the tank, and allow the mortar to cure. Then you will have a stable base that will keep your piece positioned.
It is too close to the glass lol . It literally fills the tank, I didn't have the heart to trim it down.

So portland cement and sand mix ? Ideally I was looking for something I can push under the sides of its base while it's in situ underwater. I took a while getting it into position just where I wanted it. If that's not a viable option though a mortar mix sounds substantial.
Thanks for that idea

OP
OP
Z

Zoabowlboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use some marine two part epoxy, comes in a stick, easy to add support.
Yeah I've never used these things.
So you mix it and then can you squish it into gaps underwater?
Will it dry or cure while it's under water?

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use Portland Cement, you will kill any fish/corals due to the chemicals. Yes, you c an squish the 2 part together and it will cure underwater.

OP
OP
Z

Zoabowlboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use Portland Cement, you will kill any fish/corals due to the chemicals. Yes, you c an squish the 2 part together and it will cure underwater.
Oh right. Didnt know portland cement wasnt reef safe, I'm sure I've seen people using it.
Well the epoxy sounds like the winner here.
I've seen so many brands reccomend for various things, is there one youd think would be ideal in this situation.
Thanks again for your help it will come in handy , I've got another 8.5 kg of tonga plates coming too. I want to graft onto a central tower of ocean rock in a tower of plates kind of design on the opposite side of the tank.

OP
OP
Z

Zoabowlboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry forgot to say not bare bottom I'm going to use some nice light white clean aragonite sand in there about 2 to 3mm pieces to a depth that will cover the ugly egg crate under my rockwork at least.
I've got a gravel vaccuum too so hopefully I will be able to make a custom like curved nozzle for it to get around this piece in the most part.

OP
OP
Z

Zoabowlboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont suppose anyone knows what pt1 tonga means, both lots I've bought now say pt1 at the start? I googled it to no avail. Is there different grades of tonga?
I posted the question before but noone replied :(

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use Portland cement except you have to cure it it fresh water for a month before it goes into your tank. It leaches calcium hydroxide and raises pH too much otherwise. I guess you’re not gonna be doing that, at this stage.

OP
OP
Z

Zoabowlboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use Portland cement except you have to cure it it fresh water for a month before it goes into your tank. It leaches calcium hydroxide and raises pH too much otherwise. I guess you’re not gonna be doing that, at this stage.
Ok thanks for that. I agree that's not ideal at this point.
I think the epoxy is a clear winner in this application. I dont suppose you know which epoxy is best in this application?
Do you know what pt1 tonga means? Both lots of tonga I have bought now say pt1 and I've seen it on other pieces for sale too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back