Noobie here

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone from the SaladBowl of the world Monterey County.

I am new to saltwater and hope to learn a lot from the community.

I am in the process of gathering the necessary equipment to start a 40g reef. So far I have the tank and a Viparspectra 165w led. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. I look forward to interacting with everyone

Welcome! Glad you joined

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R glad you joined.
02F5EB8D-7D22-4438-962E-E9ADDE2186D1.jpeg

OP
OP
N

N00bieReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome n00bie,
Dry or live rock?
Many have success with either.
Dry is easier to get, cheaper.
Live provides more biodiversity, bacteria, more money.
I’m thinking live, a little bit at a time. I read somewhere that dry rock can absorb ammonia and phosphates until saturated then they will be realeased all at once causing havoc. What are your thoughts?

OP
OP
N

N00bieReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking live, a little bit at a time. I read somewhere that dry rock can absorb ammonia and phosphates until saturated then they will be realeased all at once causing havoc. What are your thoughts?
Live rock preferred.
Rocks absorb and release phosphate as the water concentration varies. It's not released all at once.
Depending on the source, dry rock might leach phosphates for a few months. Some of us cure rocks in brute trash cans for months before putting in tank.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am in the process of gathering the necessary equipment to start a 40g reef. So far I have the tank and a Viparspectra 165w led. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. I look forward to interacting with everyone
Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

emmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome!! Well the best advice I can give a noobie is don't rush it. All will look good and then boom a nightmare. Let things settle in as you go. Get a quality heater and controller ( thermostat). It may seem minor but a bad heater or controller can ruin a reef tank

OP
OP
N

N00bieReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! Well the best advice I can give a noobie is don't rush it. All will look good and then boom a nightmare. Let things settle in as you go. Get a quality heater and controller ( thermostat). It may seem minor but a bad heater or controller can ruin a reef tank
Thank you for the advice

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Would you happen to have any recommendations on height placement? My tank is 22” Tall thanks again
14-20” above surface for good spread.
I might come in at 30% blue, 5% white to start.
Then ramp up 5% every month or so.
Corals calcify better with lots of soft white (even though they look better to us in the near UV and blue) so say max, 40%, but whites, which contain some blue, green and red, is necessary IMO. I do only run high whites for 4 of the 9 hour photoperiod, 9 hours of near UV and the blues.
Once set, stability is everything, corals are amazing at adapting to different light intensities provided it’s done real slow.
In my case, I added two, 1 lense 80 watt lamps in between each Visparspectra.
In your case that would not be required.
I have been happy with this light, grown everything including Acro and Clams.
Maybe some of that will help…..good luck. 806909E1-84FB-4770-9A24-0A663E2C7F2C.jpeg

OP
OP
N

N00bieReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14-20” above surface for good spread.
I might come in at 30% blue, 5% white to start.
Then ramp up 5% every month or so.
Corals calcify better with lots of soft white (even though they look better to us in the near UV and blue) so say max, 40%, but whites, which contain some blue, green and red, is necessary IMO. I do only run high whites for 4 of the 9 hour photoperiod, 9 hours of near UV and the blues.
Once set, stability is everything, corals are amazing at adapting to different light intensities provided it’s done real slow.
In my case, I added two, 1 lense 80 watt lamps in between each Visparspectra.
In your case that would not be required.
I have been happy with this light, grown everything including Acro and Clams.
Maybe some of that will help…..good luck. 806909E1-84FB-4770-9A24-0A663E2C7F2C.jpeg
Thank you I appreciate the advice. Very nice tank

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back