Noobie

JezAbella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I'm new to the saltwater hobby. I started my 1st reef tank 4-5 months ago. Yesterday I added my first inhabitants: a mated pair of orange skunk clownfish, a sebae purple tip they're hosting, and a peppermint shrimp. I'm very worried about the sebae. I'm afraid his foot was damaged in transit maybe. He was floating around I got him in a corner though he's now safe from the current he may not be getting the light he needs. I'm using a biocube 32 and was told my lights would be strong enough but now that he can't plant a foot I'm wondering what the best way to secure him is? Any help is appreciated!

received_590146251876002.jpeg received_644539062831049.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I'm new to the saltwater hobby. I started my 1st reef tank 4-5 months ago. Yesterday I added my first inhabitants: a mated pair of orange skunk clownfish, a sebae purple tip they're hosting, and a peppermint shrimp. I'm very worried about the sebae. I'm afraid his foot was damaged in transit maybe. He was floating around I got him in a corner though he's now safe from the current he may not be getting the light he needs. I'm using a biocube 32 and was told my lights would be strong enough but now that he can't plant a foot I'm wondering what the best way to secure him is? Any help is appreciated!

received_590146251876002.jpeg received_644539062831049.jpeg
Welcome!

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a rbta that i put into the tank on the sand. it moved to the rock then climbed around to the back in the shade. i lowered the light and it came around to the front of the rock. look up 'sebae anemone attachment' there might be some information as to how to tell if the foot is damaged and how long it takes for it to attach. good luck! and welcome to R2R

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome!!
Sorry to hear the concern in your first post. The nem will attach in the sand bed usually at a point where the rocks meet the sand. They seem to like to have their foot in the sand but kind of under the rock (hope I'm explaining this well). At this point it looks like it's in the sand and hopefully finding a spot. The only thing you can really do is keep flow gentle untill it attaches and water chemistry stable. As far as the foot being damaged, ime, it will either recover or it won't just keep an eye on it (sorry I don't have better assistance to offer). On a side note, if the clowns are being hosted as you say they will help the nem dig a spot in the sand and clean it etc. Imo they may aid in the recovery process. Good luck!!

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome!!
Sorry to hear the concern in your first post. The nem will attach in the sand bed usually at a point where the rocks meet the sand. They seem to like to have their foot in the sand but kind of under the rock (hope I'm explaining this well). At this point it looks like it's in the sand and hopefully finding a spot. The only thing you can really do is keep flow gentle untill it attaches and water chemistry stable. As far as the foot being damaged, ime, it will either recover or it won't just keep an eye on it (sorry I don't have better assistance to offer). On a side note, if the clowns are being hosted as you say they will help the nem dig a spot in the sand and clean it etc. Imo they may aid in the recovery process. Good luck!!
this is a very good post. thanks for sharing it.

OP
OP
JezAbella

JezAbella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a rbta that i put into the tank on the sand. it moved to the rock then climbed around to the back in the shade. i lowered the light and it came around to the front of the rock. look up 'sebae anemone attachment' there might be some information as to how to tell if the foot is damaged and how long it takes for it to attach. good luck! and welcome to R2R
Thank you I will!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back