Noopsyche K7 V3 first impressions

andrejk

lapsed salt tank geek learning it all again now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one K7 v3 at my LFS last month for a new 40gal cube in my home office. The employees at the LFS had so many good things to say about them (comparing them favorably with the Radeons). They use them in some of their store tanks and personal tanks. I had to buy one to see what all this was about.

The LFS had no controllers or mounts in stock, so I ordered those directly from NP. They arrived last week. I'll do a full review at some point when I have more hours on them -- I'm just cycling the tank now so the lights are barely on, just a few channels at 5% for now.

I'm a fan so far. A few first impressions here:

Pros:
- On the lights, overall, the build quality and components are very good:
- Nice beefy heat sink, quality molded plastics, clear quality lenses (not sure of the exact material).
- I'm an electronics geek so I also took the light apart and happy with what I saw -- well-designed, well assembled boards, clean soldering, solid connections and bonding, no shortcuts on the constructions to save a few dollars. The components are common well-proven parts (or popular clones)--nothing exciting and sexy, but I don't want sexy parts on what's essentially a set of switching power supplies and a fairly simple driver board. Simple is good.
- The brightness of this thing is WAY more than enough for my 40g cube. If I had a bigger tank I'd hang it higher and still have plenty of light. Right now I have it about 11" above the water line. 6 channels of control feels like plenty. (But I'm coming from 2 channels on my other tank :) )
- The overall look with the mounting arm is sleek and streamlined. The one cable goes cleanly through a hole in the mount and down to the back. No clutter.
- I always worry about plastic screws and brackets cracking or feeling wobbly. These are solid and I'm confident that the bracket is mounted well to the glass.

Cons:
- The fan is a little too loud, probably too small, so when I tested the lights at normal LPS settings (which may be brighter than what I'll eventually use) the fan noise is annoying if I'm going to be working next to this tank all day. I may retrofit a larger fan that can spin slower or see if I can add more passive cooling. On a bigger tank with big return pumps and a skimmer (like my main tank), it probably wouldn't be noticeable.
- The bracket that connects the light to the mounting arm connects with a single screw. I have nightmares about that wiggling loose slowly over months unnoticed then without warning the light takes a swim. I'd feel better if it was connected by two screws: then if one failed, I'd notice it before it came loose. I may add a loop of safety wire or zip tie to ease my anxiety.
- The controller is functional and does the job once you learn how to use it. If you don't play around with your lights much, then after a little stumbling around and cursing at the manual, you can get it set up and you won't have to worry about it. If you like pretty sliders, dials, charts, phone controls and clear instructions .. this isn't it.

I'm happy I bought these for my 40g and when it's time for an upgrade or swap on my big tank (or my wife lets me get another one :) ), I'd say I'd buy more of these. The positive aspects are great, the price is right, and the cons are all things I can live with.

For now, leave the lights dim while cycling this tank (about 10 weeks now). While that happens, I'll noodle on integrating them with an Apex or build a little web app to get my pretty slider fix.

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought one K7 v3 at my LFS last month for a new 40gal cube in my home office. The employees at the LFS had so many good things to say about them (comparing them favorably with the Radeons). They use them in some of their store tanks and personal tanks. I had to buy one to see what all this was about.

The LFS had no controllers or mounts in stock, so I ordered those directly from NP. They arrived last week. I'll do a full review at some point when I have more hours on them -- I'm just cycling the tank now so the lights are barely on, just a few channels at 5% for now.

I'm a fan so far. A few first impressions here:

Pros:
- On the lights, overall, the build quality and components are very good:
- Nice beefy heat sink, quality molded plastics, clear quality lenses (not sure of the exact material).
- I'm an electronics geek so I also took the light apart and happy with what I saw -- well-designed, well assembled boards, clean soldering, solid connections and bonding, no shortcuts on the constructions to save a few dollars. The components are common well-proven parts (or popular clones)--nothing exciting and sexy, but I don't want sexy parts on what's essentially a set of switching power supplies and a fairly simple driver board. Simple is good.
- The brightness of this thing is WAY more than enough for my 40g cube. If I had a bigger tank I'd hang it higher and still have plenty of light. Right now I have it about 11" above the water line. 6 channels of control feels like plenty. (But I'm coming from 2 channels on my other tank :) )
- The overall look with the mounting arm is sleek and streamlined. The one cable goes cleanly through a hole in the mount and down to the back. No clutter.
- I always worry about plastic screws and brackets cracking or feeling wobbly. These are solid and I'm confident that the bracket is mounted well to the glass.

Cons:
- The fan is a little too loud, probably too small, so when I tested the lights at normal LPS settings (which may be brighter than what I'll eventually use) the fan noise is annoying if I'm going to be working next to this tank all day. I may retrofit a larger fan that can spin slower or see if I can add more passive cooling. On a bigger tank with big return pumps and a skimmer (like my main tank), it probably wouldn't be noticeable.
- The bracket that connects the light to the mounting arm connects with a single screw. I have nightmares about that wiggling loose slowly over months unnoticed then without warning the light takes a swim. I'd feel better if it was connected by two screws: then if one failed, I'd notice it before it came loose. I may add a loop of safety wire or zip tie to ease my anxiety.
- The controller is functional and does the job once you learn how to use it. If you don't play around with your lights much, then after a little stumbling around and cursing at the manual, you can get it set up and you won't have to worry about it. If you like pretty sliders, dials, charts, phone controls and clear instructions .. this isn't it.

I'm happy I bought these for my 40g and when it's time for an upgrade or swap on my big tank (or my wife lets me get another one :) ), I'd say I'd buy more of these. The positive aspects are great, the price is right, and the cons are all things I can live with.

For now, leave the lights dim while cycling this tank (about 10 weeks now). While that happens, I'll noodle on integrating them with an Apex or build a little web app to get my pretty slider fix.
Thanks for purshasing! Would love to see some picture :)

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good write up. I agree on noise. Just installed and put everything to 50% intensity and the fans kicked on. They are loud. I have 2 over a 40breeder directly next to my 90gallon. The Noo-Psyche are the loudest thing between both tanks and while watching tv 10 feet away are irritating. I could here my old black boxes when I walked up to them but nothing like this. This is like a GPU blower. Quiet until they ramp up to a jet turbine. After that the jury is still out. As I just set them up.

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fan is very powerful and it is normal to have wind noise.If there is abnormal noise, it must be the lamp fan hitting something.

Last edited:

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good write up. I agree on noise. Just installed and put everything to 50% intensity and the fans kicked on. They are loud. I have 2 over a 40breeder directly next to my 90gallon. The Noo-Psyche are the loudest thing between both tanks and while watching tv 10 feet away are irritating. I could here my old black boxes when I walked up to them but nothing like this. This is like a GPU blower. Quiet until they ramp up to a jet turbine. After that the jury is still out. As I just set them up.
Why don't you send a video to show the fan is loud? And why not go to get after-sales service.I'd be happy to solve your problems. Before the lights are sent out, the quietness of the fan is less than 40 decibels.
Tip: The fan is inlaid, we hope to understand your situation. You can see that we optimize the product very frequently and quickly.

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you send a video to show the fan is loud? And why not go to get after-sales service.I'd be happy to solve your problems. Before the lights are sent out, the quietness of the fan is less than 40 decibels.
Tip: The fan is inlaid, we hope to understand your situation. You can see that we optimize the product very frequently and quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_0222.MOV
    14.1 MB

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fans are audible but certainly not that loud. For the price I love my K7 V3's. Just ordered two of the wifi versions for my main DT.
Some people are more sensitive to ongoing noises then others. I can’t stand the sounds no matter how small because they’re constant. I agree it’s a very soft/quiet noise from the fan. I’m glad the bigger 140w shuts off from time to time.

xsiimonox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, did you finde a solution for the Noise problems? Can you repost the Video? its not available anymore.

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The sound of stepping on the floor is louder. approaching the lamp from a distance to 08 seconds(About 12inch/30cm away from the lamp), I heard the sound produced by the air flow not sound of rubbing against parts, can't hear it from afar

Attachments

• 2722206-1bdcfd17f37f25a02e259f19cd54f4f2.mov
    14.1 MB
Last edited:

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this light to be dim in appearance . My smatfarm was WAY brighter..I have the noop set at 100 % intensity...nicer pop with the osram's and better look..but not nearly as bright ..I have it over a 29 gal and I think I may need supplemental lighting or will have to lower the mounting arm -to get the same amt of light as the smatfarm...

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this light to be dim in appearance . My smatfarm was WAY brighter..I have the noop set at 100 % intensity...nicer pop with the osram's and better look..but not nearly as bright ..I have it over a 29 gal and I think I may need supplemental lighting or will have to lower the mounting arm -to get the same amt of light as the smatfarm...
That doesn't seem right. I have three over a 30" deep tank and it doesn't seem dim on the sand. I do need to rent a PAR meter though, to see for sure.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appearance means nothing.. try a par meter.. a standard light bulb will look brighter also but on that sand you’re getting little to nothing for par.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par ...Schmar...if my anemones are reaching up for more light since the noops were installed..thats all I need to see.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back