Nopox and Cyano

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backstory...

I've been battling high nitrates - low phosphate. Started around 50 ppm nitrates (steady), and .03 ppm phosphates - 4 weeks ago. Been that way for a month or so....as I let things settle. I started dosing NoPox 4 weeks ago - with starting dose 8ml a day....and I've worked my way up (slowly) to 10ml a day. I use the apex dos to deliver the dos over an 8 hour period. I've backed off on feeding the fish to just once a day = from 3.

I have a 108 gallon with approx 25 gallons in the sump.

Corals look 'fine' but aren't really growing at any recognizable rate. I have softies, zoas, lps, and some tester cheap sps. Fish are fat and healthy.

Current parameters after 4 weeks of increasing the NOPOX dos:

Salinity: 1.025
ph: 8.05
Nitrate: 25 (salifert)....double checked with API (20) - been stuck at this for the last two weeks.
phosphates: .08 (hanna ulr phosphate) - up from .03 (but I also removed a crumbling bio brick)
dkh: 8.6 (apex trident). (double checked with Hanna - 8.4)
Calcium: 445 (apex trident)
Mag: 1323

I also have a refugium (egg crate in the sump with chaeto run on a 12/12 light period. Chaeto is alive, but isn't growing as fast as before.

So....The last couple of days - a little bit of Cyano has shown up on the back of my rocks. Not a lot.....and really not in a visible area.......might be a flow problem.

Question: do I up the NoPox dose some more to try and restrat the drop in nitrates - since it seems to have stalled? or hold off, and maintain, or possible lower the dose to not feed the Cyano?

I'm not sure how to get flow to the Cyano at this point....as it is in the middle of the tank, pretty far away from my wave makers and gyre.

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop the nopox if your main concern is the cyano. However, if it is only in one spot and it doesn't bother you, then you can keep doing nopox if you'd like.

If you want to carbon dose without feeding cyano, consider biopellets

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop the nopox if your main concern is the cyano. However, if it is only in one spot and it doesn't bother you, then you can keep doing nopox if you'd like.

If you want to carbon dose without feeding cyano, consider biopellets
Talk to me more about biopellets?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano showed up from the change in parameters. It will go away on its own. Just maintain the correct dose of nopox. There was a presentation done at a reefing conference where he explained how nopox is actually beneficial in coral growth. Bring your nitrates to where you'd like them by water changes. The nopox will help to maintain the desired levels.

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk to me more about biopellets?

Its sort of like a solid form of nopox that tumbles in a reactor. The biopellets tumble and as bacteria "feed" on them, they get knocked off and sucked up by the skimmer. Cyano can use nopox but you would not have that issue with biopellets.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do not use NoPox for the cyano as it is vinegar base and is Fuel/food for cyano and Dino. Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backstory...

I've been battling high nitrates - low phosphate. Started around 50 ppm nitrates (steady), and .03 ppm phosphates - 4 weeks ago. Been that way for a month or so....as I let things settle. I started dosing NoPox 4 weeks ago - with starting dose 8ml a day....and I've worked my way up (slowly) to 10ml a day. I use the apex dos to deliver the dos over an 8 hour period. I've backed off on feeding the fish to just once a day = from 3.

I have a 108 gallon with approx 25 gallons in the sump.

Corals look 'fine' but aren't really growing at any recognizable rate. I have softies, zoas, lps, and some tester cheap sps. Fish are fat and healthy.

Current parameters after 4 weeks of increasing the NOPOX dos:

Salinity: 1.025
ph: 8.05
Nitrate: 25 (salifert)....double checked with API (20) - been stuck at this for the last two weeks.
phosphates: .08 (hanna ulr phosphate) - up from .03 (but I also removed a crumbling bio brick)
dkh: 8.6 (apex trident). (double checked with Hanna - 8.4)
Calcium: 445 (apex trident)
Mag: 1323

I also have a refugium (egg crate in the sump with chaeto run on a 12/12 light period. Chaeto is alive, but isn't growing as fast as before.

So....The last couple of days - a little bit of Cyano has shown up on the back of my rocks. Not a lot.....and really not in a visible area.......might be a flow problem.

Question: do I up the NoPox dose some more to try and restrat the drop in nitrates - since it seems to have stalled? or hold off, and maintain, or possible lower the dose to not feed the Cyano?

I'm not sure how to get flow to the Cyano at this point....as it is in the middle of the tank, pretty far away from my wave makers and gyre.
Update. I upped the NOPOX dose (recommended by Randy), and dosed some Phosphates as they were getting low - .01. My Nitrates have dropped to 5ppm, and the cyano has cleared up on its own. My calcium and ALK usage is going up a LOT - which I think means my corals/coraline are starting to grow again - I think that's good news! Now I'm slowly lowering the NOPOX to find my sweet spot. Thanks for all the recommendations below. This group is the best.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is to follow the NoPox directions and reduce your dose by about a third.
I ended up having to raise it back a little from that dose.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back