Nopox dosing, some observations

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone :)
I have a 40 gal breeder that I use as a frag tank. It has a Midas blenny and a small yellow coris wrasse/canary wrasse.
Nitrates before dosing = 15-18 ppm
I did a dose of 4ml at 6pm yesterday. I estimate to have about 30-35 gal water. Hindsight I should have dosed half of the 4ml...
So I woke up this morning and the tank is hazy. Not cloudy, no bloom that I can see but it's just a little "off". I'm skimming wet. All inhabitants and coral seem fine this morning.
Also it smells different. I'm used to no smell in my tanks, and there's definitely a weird smell but I can't id it. Has anyone come across this weird smell when dosing?
Here's some pics. The nem tank is to show how clear the water was last night vs today in the 40:
IMG_1433.JPG IMG_1432.JPG

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a rep from Red Sea?
@RedSeaKev
The entire room now smells weird like the aquarium....
Still pretty cloudy but as it's first dose, I don't think I could have overdosed...
IMG_1434.JPG

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm so overdose must be subjective lol
Now...it doesn't say to dose daily but is that what is supposed to happen? I was going to see what happened after a few days and dose maybe once a week.
i guess I'll test the important things and then wait.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's best to does a little each day. I have been using NoPoX for about a year and in a 29 gallon with 20 gallons volume of water, I dose 2ml/day. I think I started at .5ml/day.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah so it was probably moreso a big initial dose.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just the initial shock of a new chemical being added. It will clear up, just take it slow. Any type of carbon dosing dosen't happen over night. It took mine about 3 months to go from 25ppm down to about 5ppm. And that's with bi monthly 25% water changes. Everyone's tank is different, mine just took forever.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm so overdose must be subjective lol
Now...it doesn't say to dose daily but is that what is supposed to happen? I was going to see what happened after a few days and dose maybe once a week.
i guess I'll test the important things and then wait.

You need to dose it daily as basically your feeding bacteria so they multiply and very simply get rid of the nitrates and to a lesser extent phosphates. If you don't feed them they will die back

The correct dosage for nitrates above 10ppm is 3ml per 100litres or 25gallons as per instructions and then this reduces as the nitrates drop.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to dose it daily as basically your feeding bacteria so they multiply and very simply get rid of the nitrates and to a lesser extent phosphates. If you don't feed them they will die back

The correct dosage for nitrates above 10ppm is 3ml per 100litres or 25gallons as per instructions and then this reduces as the nitrates drop.
Interesting. I'm at 15-18 ppm and I dosed 4ml for roughly 30-35 gal. And I got a bloom. I'm worried that even if I cut by 50% it will continue to get worse (the bloom)

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I'm at 15-18 ppm and I dosed 4ml for roughly 30-35 gal. And I got a bloom. I'm worried that even if I cut by 50% it will continue to get worse (the bloom)

Just start out at 50% or maybe even less until your comfortable and then build back up to the correct dosage if your a little cautious about it.

All systems are different after all.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any organic carbon dosing can lead to a bloom, especially if added all at once so you do not build up bacteria on surfaces such as live rock.

But the bacteria need to grow somewhere. It isn't necessarily any problem that they are in the water column, except from an aesthetic standpoint. :)

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any organic carbon dosing can lead to a bloom, especially if added all at once so you do not build up bacteria on surfaces such as live rock.

But the bacteria need to grow somewhere. It isn't necessarily any problem that they are in the water column, except from an aesthetic standpoint. :)
That's what I needed to know. Ok. Lol
Am I safe to keep adding daily-at 2ml instead of 4 for now? Assuming I don't see a drop in nitrates? Fish and coral aren't affected as of yet. I just wanted to be 100% sure it wasn't an ammonia spike or something crazy.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I needed to know. Ok. Lol
Am I safe to keep adding daily-at 2ml instead of 4 for now? Assuming I don't see a drop in nitrates? Fish and coral aren't affected as of yet. I just wanted to be 100% sure it wasn't an ammonia spike or something crazy.

I do not know if it will stop the bloom, but it is "safe" :)

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if it will stop the bloom, but it is "safe" :)
Well the bloom will eventually be taken care of with wet skimming. And since if safe for inhabitants, I don't need to worry about the hazy water. Am I correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the bloom will eventually be taken care of with wet skimming. And since if safe for inhabitants, I don't need to worry about the hazy water. Am I correct?

probably. A few folks get blooms that won't skim out. But I'd just wait and see. :)

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack a carbon dosing thread but does carbon dosing always cause white film to build up in the tank? On the glass etc

slicko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack a carbon dosing thread but does carbon dosing always cause white film to build up in the tank? On the glass etc

No not always. it is a sign of overdosing or a sign that there is not enough rock/bacteria area for the bacteria to colonate.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a reading was 13 ppm on my Hanner Checker UL....I have a 120 gallon system with just a few frags of LPS & some soft corals in my tank, so I just started my NOPOX dosing @ 5mls a day.
Here a few pixs that I believe that I have a small bloom of Dinoflagellates.. So, I am reducing my intensity of my Hydra Twenty Six HD LED's. I am raising my PH to 8.4, with my Avast Kalk Reactor.
I turned off my Media reactor which has GFO and Carbon in the canister. Tomorrow will be my 2nd dose. @Randy Holmes-Farley, what are your thoughts on this issue.

IMG_3422.JPG

IMG_3423.JPG

AlageBloom.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back