Nopox dosing, some observations

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak of dino's in my tank a few months after setting it up and I increased flow to the area and did a 3 day blackout. Just closed the curtains in room etc. They disappeared and tank looked like brand new again and they haven't come back. I also purchased some Dino X but never had to use it.

The correct dose for the NoPox is 3ml per 100litres/25g of actual water if nitrates are above 10ppm so unless your staring with a lower dose 5ml seems low. All as per the instructions.

I have aprox 130 gallons of actual water and currently dose 15ml per day of NoPox and then fine tune it as necessary. My nitrate is around 8ppm or thereabouts so I'll probably lower the dose to 2ml per 100litres/25g shortly.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak of dino's as well, I have been treating it with the Sea Life NOPOX and it's been working. I have been currently been doing 5mls in the morning and 5 mls at night and that 's been getting the job done. This is what a few of my life rocks look like when I caught it. I only have been dosing for 2 weeks on my 4th week I WILL post more pictures after a month of dosing NOPOX.
AlageBloom.JPG

TANK INFO:
120 display
Ecotech M1 pump
Apex Classic
Apex ALD Module w/ 2 Leak Detector probes
Apex PM2 Module w/ Salinity probe
BreakOut box w/ 2 float switches
Skimz 163 DC Montzer Series skimmer
Custom sump / Refuge
2 TUNZE Turbella 6055 Pumps
2 AI Hydra TwentySix HD LED Fixtures
Celestial C35W Maxspect Refuge Spotlight
Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w
BRS Dual Media reactor
Eshoops IV Master & Slave Doser
Tunze 3155 Auto Top Off
BRS Peri Pump 50mls/pm
Avast Kalk Reactor

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox is from Red Sea not Sea Life ?? Also I don't think it will do anything for Dinos?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack a carbon dosing thread but does carbon dosing always cause white film to build up in the tank? On the glass etc

No, some folks never see anything.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox is from Red Sea not Sea Life ?? Also I don't think it will do anything for Dinos?
I meant Red Sea! lol @Randy Holmes-Farley do you happen to have any recommendation on how to get rid of this red Algae? It brushed right off with a tooth brush and it;s only on a few of my live rocks..

IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3456.JPG

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks, @Randy Holmes-Farley for your help! Quick question, what products would you use for treatment Cynobacteria?
So far I have cut back half on my feeding and been using Elos sv.M2 Marine Fish Food - Medium, Running BRS HC GFO, Doing weekly water changes of 10 gallons and going to use Boyd Chemiclean Liquid Red Cyano Bacteria Remover. Anything else am I missing? Also, love to hear your thoughts on Elos sv. M2 Marine Fish Food. Here is the link for the food I am using.
http://www.elosaquarium.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=105

TANK INFO:
120 MIXED REEF

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Chemi Clean (erythromycin antibiotic) and it works OK, but you need to reduce the organics and/or nutrients or it often comes back.

I don't have any particular opinion on the food. No reason I can see to not use it. :)

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Chemi Clean (erythromycin antibiotic) and it works OK, but you need to reduce the organics and/or nutrients or it often comes back.

I don't have any particular opinion on the food. No reason I can see to not use it. :)

Many thanks, Randy for your help!

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I stopped using the NOPOX and slowly weaned off! I used a product called Chemi Clean Red Algae remover by Boyd Enterprises and that totally did the job. I used 5mls only for my 120, then waited for 48 hrs and then did my 20% water change. It tells you that your skimmer goes crazy which is does so you have to tweak it for about a week until things get back to normal. Anyhow, as you can see from the pictures, I no long have any type of Red Algae in my system and it had no effect on my fish or my corals. If you have any type of Red Algae blooms, or Red Cyano, I would HIGHLY recommend this product..

TANK INFO:
120 MIXED REEF

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 12.02.04 PM.png

IMG_3491.JPG

IMG_3490.JPG

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks have white mucus slime, some folks have red slime (normally in their sump). This has been my observation over the course. Myself the red pinky soft slime is evident in the sump. I don't think it does any harm.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back