NOPOX dosing

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So like many I had high nitrates for quite a while. I started dosing NOPOX as per the instructions and saw no change so I upped the dose to 8ml per day. The bottle states don't over dose but does not give an example of what overdose might look like.
My nitrates are now below 20.
On the weekend I saw a new Redsea video on Youtube explaining NOPOX and dosing. It states now do not dose more than 3ml per day per 100liters or 25Gal.
So I've been overdosing by 2x for quite a while.
I was thinking my HD16 was not strong enough for SPS as I was not getting polyp extension and they were dying.
So according to the new video polyp recession is a symptom of overdosing.
I've now cut my dose back to 2ml per day. Hopefully I'll see more life from my SPS in future.
Lesson learned

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experimented with carbon dosing in the past and my experience was somewhat similar to yours-some corals didn't like it and it was even before I managed to lower nitrates significantly. There are some other reefers with similar experience, there is a thread somwhere on R2R about it. I suspect that carbon dosing alters bacterial biom of reef tank unfavourably in some cases and that negatively effect some corals. On the other hand there are many for whom carbon dosing works very well.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experimented with carbon dosing in the past and my experience was somewhat similar to yours-some corals didn't like it and it was even before I managed to lower nitrates significantly. There are some other reefers with similar experience, there is a thread somwhere on R2R about it. I suspect that carbon dosing alters bacterial biom of reef tank unfavourably in some cases and that negatively effect some corals. On the other hand there are many for whom carbon dosing works very well.
I kept upping the dose as I wasn't seeing a reduction. It didn't really mention the link between PO4 and NO3.
Now I'll see how I go with 1/4 the does and see how NO3 goes.
Hopefully the Acro I have will start to look happy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back