NOPOX Overdose

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in true me fashion my autodoser decided to run continuously the other night and dose roughly 300 ml of NOPOX to my 144 gallon. I woke up and discovered a milky white tank.

A positive is the tank is currently in a fallow period due to a velvet wipe out of all my livestock.

I done two water changes one 45 and a 65 but the water is still hazy.

My question for the smart people is will this issue work itself out in the next 30 days or do i need to do another very large water change to fix it?

I have 30ish more days on my fallow period so I am ok letting it run its course.

The only downfall right now besides the look is my skimmer is going crazy to the point I am thinking of turning it off until this passes.

Any insights would be appreciated.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the tank got drunk and now has a hangover. It should pass. It will run out of food. You can always run some carbon and polishing floss in filter sock to help filter the water borne bacteria out.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do some more water changes. I overdosed nopox(also in an empty tank thankfully) once and the white cloudiness turned into massive outbreak of white slimy bacterial growth everywhere. I could suck it out daily and the next day it was just as bad. Took a few months of letting it run its course to clear up( i eventually started doing 50% changes).

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do some more water changes. I overdosed nopox(also in an empty tank thankfully) once and the white cloudiness turned into massive outbreak of white slimy bacterial growth everywhere. I could suck it out daily and the next day it was just as bad. Took a few months of letting it run its course to clear up( i eventually started doing 50% changes).
How many 50% changes did it take you to return to normal.

OP
OP
spfahnestock

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ran my skimmer overnight and it looked like my kids bubble bath. I have turned it off for a while and will wait until this afternoon/ evening to see how cloudy the tank is.

I am thinking my autodosers will be removed from my tanks to prevent recurrance.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So great question and the best answer I can give is I failed to turn it off after having to go fallow.

Once I lost everything I killed the lights and just let it run. Not the right thing but it is what happened.

there really wouldn’t be a need to test nutrients but out of curiosity , have you ?

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ran my skimmer overnight and it looked like my kids bubble bath. I have turned it off for a while and will wait until this afternoon/ evening to see how cloudy the tank is.

I am thinking my autodosers will be removed from my tanks to prevent recurrance.
I never had an overdose until my Apex. I invested so much into DOS pumps. Then I noticed the ALK was low so I flipped the on switch, my kid fell, I was distracted kissing boo-boos, and I dosed 1000ml of Alk. Lost so many corals and fish.

They are a fantastic tool but seem like the most dangerous one (aside from the toasters I hang above my tank on thin wire and flimsy metal arms).

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had an overdose until my Apex. I invested so much into DOS pumps. Then I noticed the ALK was low so I flipped the on switch, my kid fell, I was distracted kissing boo-boos, and I dosed 1000ml of Alk. Lost so many corals and fish.

They are a fantastic tool but seem like the most dangerous one (aside from the toasters I hang above my tank on thin wire and flimsy metal arms).
I don’t trust auto doses .
but only dosing 12ml alk and cal im
Ok manually doing it in the evening .

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of doing a 100% water change as it is still very cloudy, worse as the day goes on, and the skimmer is going absolutely bonkers.
that's what the skimmer is supposed to do, that's exactly how carbon dosing works, the skimmer exports the excess of bacteria and therefore take the NO3/PO4 with them. turning it off you're just starving the tank for oxygen and killing anything that might be remaining in there (micro funa/etc.....)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back