NoPox Recipe???

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok to mix vinegar and ethanol in your CaCl2 two-part solution?

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading the thread and also others, I am dealing with stubbornly high NO3 (50 ppm) and PO4 (0.8 ppm). Question @Randy Holmes-Farley , will the vodka-vinegar mix reduce both NO3 and PO4?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading the thread and also others, I am dealing with stubbornly high NO3 (50 ppm) and PO4 (0.8 ppm). Question @Randy Holmes-Farley , will the vodka-vinegar mix reduce both NO3 and PO4?

Organic carbon dosing is a decent way to reduce nitrate, but for various reasons, one should not expect a substantial phosphate decline at the value you have.

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading through this thread, is there any reason not to dose straight vinegar on a dosing pump to lower NO3? I don’t see one…

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading through this thread, is there any reason not to dose straight vinegar on a dosing pump to lower NO3? I don’t see one…
Considering this recent article - any new thoughts on carbon dosing to control NO3?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering this recent article - any new thoughts on carbon dosing to control NO3?

I don’t know of any reason to think it is a general problem, and I recommend it.

In rare instances, there may be pathogenic bacteria that get spurred to grow.

I recommend vinegar for organic carbon dosing.

MJ59HK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank have high PO4 and NO3 for the past 18 months. I have tried most commercial products but they do not seem to have any effect. However, in the last month PO4 seems to have come down to the level where it should be (0.06ppm) on its own but NO3 still quite high. Tested at around 28ppm a few days ago and this morning it went up to 38ppm. Can I use the recipe discussed in this post to reduce NO3 noting that PO4 is at the right level? I am in Australia and the white vinegar available in our supermarkets do not advertise the concentrate. Can I just use any white vinegar found in supermarket? Can I use cleaning vinegar? Cheers.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank have high PO4 and NO3 for the past 18 months. I have tried most commercial products but they do not seem to have any effect. However, in the last month PO4 seems to have come down to the level where it should be (0.06ppm) on its own but NO3 still quite high. Tested at around 28ppm a few days ago and this morning it went up to 38ppm. Can I use the recipe discussed in this post to reduce NO3 noting that PO4 is at the right level? I am in Australia and the white vinegar available in our supermarkets do not advertise the concentrate. Can I just use any white vinegar found in supermarket? Can I use cleaning vinegar? Cheers.

Organic carbon dosing is a fine approach here. There’s nothing special about this recipe, but it’s fine. I used straight vinegar. What exactly do the labels say?

Slark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley i understand that you tell us to use only vinegar as carbon source, but how many mililits vinegar would reduce NO3 ? I mean vinegar - No3 / mililit - ppm ( Sorry if my english is bad ) I have 900 litters tank and i ve just test No3 between 25- 50 using salifert test. Thank you so much

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley i understand that you tell us to use only vinegar as carbon source, but how many mililits vinegar would reduce NO3 ? I mean vinegar - No3 / mililit - ppm ( Sorry if my english is bad ) I have 900 litters tank and i ve just test No3 between 25- 50 using salifert test. Thank you so much

Organic molecules can be consumed and used in at least two different ways with greatly different degrees of nitrate reduction, so there is no single answer.

Denitrification depletes it a lot while
Simple tissue growth uses less.

MJ59HK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Organic carbon dosing is a fine approach here. There’s nothing special about this recipe, but it’s fine. I used straight vinegar. What exactly do the labels say?
It doesn't say much. Just say contains vinegar naturally brewed. Thanks.

1720740237931.png
1720740256958.png

adikgemok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

Do you happen to have any rough dosing amount (ml/gal) for the Vinegar Only method?
Currently using NOPOX right now, might switch to Vinegar only once it’s finish… can I use my current NOPOX dosage as a guideline?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

Do you happen to have any rough dosing amount (ml/gal) for the Vinegar Only method?
Currently using NOPOX right now, might switch to Vinegar only once it’s finish… can I use my current NOPOX dosage as a guideline?
Sure. Vinegar is much more dilute so you’d need more.

adikgemok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. Vinegar is much more dilute so you’d need more.

Thanks Randy …

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back