NoPoX time frame?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was dosing methanol for about 2 years and tryd nopox also, when i ran into undetectable p04 it seemed the carbon source wouldnt work and caused stn, not sure if it has to do with a different bacteria drive like randy said because i still dont understand to this day about bacteria and stn but once i started adding a phosphate source witch mine was acropower my nitrates came back inline again after a while, dont like acropower or dosing aminos much because of the while slime it seems to leave

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm dosing AquaVitro fuel so there's my aminos there. Maybe I need to up the dose to 3 times a week from 2?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I also took my filtersocks off at that time, im acually having an issue rite now in my new setup with tryng to get phosphates inline without overfeeding, aminos, using filter socks but still skimming. I also dose .5 nopox now in 450l tank and have ben the same ml for 3 months untill im fully stocked and established before i up my dose

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No room for a reactor. But I used to run ChemiPure in my AC70 along with Seachem de*nitrate and the sponge. Now atm I have the sponge, de*nitrate and Fluvals version of gfo(not a big fan of it but figured I'd give it a try).

I wonder if just trying also a hanging fresh water breeding net and tossing in some macro algae might help.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime, you have to use the reef energy after time, or you'll see rtn. Feeding more with something that results in more nitrates is what most do, it's all about the balance. Get some nutricell if you don't wanna pay for the RE. Stop worrying too much about levels, once things look happy and you're feeding a lot, stuff will balance out. Manually removing algae is sometimes necessary because the algae will outlast the coral when there's a lack of nutrients.

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manually removing algae is sometimes necessary because the algae will outlast the coral when there's a lack of nutrients.

Well the problem is I have no algae problem. Only the light dusting that gets on the glass. So other than the rock, skimmer and water changes, I have no other real nutrient export.

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still sitting at about 24-25ppm. Still dosing 3ml of the NoPoX daily but I've now removed the sponge filters in both the AC70 and the sponge bubble trap on my skimmer. I got a little concerned that it may be bad reagents so I tested it against an API test kit and even the API states it's about 20ppm.

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still sitting about 24ppm. To ease my concerns about the Red Sea Nitrate Pro kit reagents I tested both freshly made IO water and plain RO/DI water, both tests came out at 0 ppm. /sigh
Also lost an Ora Rose Acropora Millipora frag in a matter of hours. Two nights ago it looked good and then yesterday, completely dead. Stripped of all zoo and polyps. :(
Acropora tenuis, Purple Stylophora, Birdsnest, Monti Caps, Pocilipora, Zoas, Acans, Frogspawn and Hammer do not seem to be affected at all and seem to love the higher No3.
Velvet Acro and Tri-color are on their way out. And my Cali Tort had to be fragged twice and both pieces seem to be holding on with color and polyps extended.

zzzdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam do you have O2 "poor areas" in your tank for denitrifying Bactria to grow? You should have seen some reduction by now using the Nopox, do you add any denitrifying bacteria to your tank?
You should be seeing some movement in your No3 numbers.

Topside Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Add phosphate and you will have less nitrate in a week or two. Brightwell neophos is what I have used more than a few times with consistant results. It worked in this tank

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/neophos-balanced-phosphorus-supplement-brightwell-aquatics.html

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only low flow area of the tank is right under my frag rack. I've got about 3500gph pushing flow through the tank intermittent with the slow areas in one corner for my hammer and frogspawn and under the frag rack. I've started dosing AquaVitro Remediation given to me for free from my LFS, figure it couldn't hurt. If there seems to be still no change by next week, I'll look into the BWA Phosphorus additive. I'm hoping this is just the point in the tanks "life" where is goes through its trouble stage. I know most tanks hit a bad time at about 1-1 1/2 years. And atm it's at 1 year 7 months.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add phosphate and you will have less nitrate in a week or two. Brightwell neophos is what I have used more than a few times with consistant results. It worked in this tank
l

Perhaps if his phosphate reading is in error, that might be true, but his most recent number was 0.02 ppm phosphate, which wouldn't support your contention. :)

Topside Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps if his phosphate reading is in error, that might be true, but his most recent number was 0.02 ppm phosphate, which wouldn't support your contention. :)
My assumption was that that number is an error. It's the most likely scenario from my point of view. Although you're not entirely correct phosphate levels below .03 will inhibit algae growth which could help deplete nitrates :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My assumption was that that number is an error. It's the most likely scenario from my point of view. Although you're not entirely correct phosphate levels below .03 will inhibit algae growth which could help deplete nitrates :)

What am I not correct about? I do not disagree that at levels below 0.03 ppm phosphate you can begin to inhibit algae. Even so, 0.02 ppm does not always stop it.

However, we are talking about bacteria consuming organics, not algae photosynthesizing. Denitrification by bacteria in anoxic regions takes up a lot less phosphate per unit of nitrate than does algae growth. Since many people reduced nitrate by dosing organic carbon at 0.02 ppm phosphate, I think that to explain his issue as phosphate too low would require that 0.02 ppm to be wrong.. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back