NOPOX, Use It Religiously?

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to get your take on NOPOX. Is anyone using it religiously long term? What has been your experience?

Trying to explore avenues to keep GHA at bay.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A complete set of recent parameters would be helpful first.

Generally speaking, I do what I can to avoid adding anything to my tanks.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eat Sleep Reef is someone I've been watching on YouTube recently who seemed to dose NoPox on a daily basis. It convinced me to try it and I ended up overdosing (following the directions on the bottle) and killing my fish...fun! I don't know why I'm still using it, but I've recently hooked it up to my doser and am doing 1ml per day for my ~30g of water volume (IM40 tank). I haven't had a chance to test and see if it's actually doing anything though.

OP
OP
tsav87

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A complete set of recent parameters would be helpful first.

Generally speaking, I do what I can to avoid adding anything to my tanks.
Last check (5 days ago) was NO3 of 1ppm and PO4 of 0.08ppm. BUT the tank is overrun with GHA at the moment. Last night I manually removed as much as I could. I am assuming the real numbers are masked due to the amount of GHA present.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it before switching to ESV's Elements+. It works very well and is strong so go easy with it, there are other methods for gha control too like a more aggressive CUC and even tangs.
Keeping phosphate in check is also a key.
Hope this helps.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last check (5 days ago) was NO3 of 1ppm and PO4 of 0.08ppm. BUT the tank is overrun with GHA at the moment. Last night I manually removed as much as I could. I am assuming the real numbers are masked due to the amount of GHA present.

Yes... if you have a GHA issue, numbers can be masked as GHA consumes the nutrients in the water column. Basically, your tank becomes a big refugium. LOL

OP
OP
tsav87

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... if you have a GHA issue, numbers can be masked as GHA consumes the nutrients in the water column. Basically, your tank becomes a big refugium. LOL
The corals that are not covered in GHA are doing great! Coloring up nicely! ;Hilarious

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing it daily for maybe 4 years. Switched to a DIY some time ago but I never really had algae issues. I used to feed a lot more frozen food so it was phosphate and nitrate control but these days it's more about feeding bacteria. I no longer adjust the dosage based on N/P although they seem to be pretty steady at least over the last few years. I am careful not to strip the water, it seems like over the years my tank has become use to it's dosage. Nitrate stays around 5ppm phosphate does fluctuate a bit but that is likely a combination of the fact I also use GFO, feed a lot once a week and my photometer has a +/- range of 0.03 so when you are talking about phosphates that typically aren't higher then 0.10 there may or may not be as much variation as the meter shows.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used NoPox daily for ~2 years now, my NO3 sits <1 and my PO4 ~.08. I have seen significantly reduced algae growth, but it isn't gone completely - snails fix some of the left overs.

Things I have noticed:
-Constant dosing at too high of a level (for example not following the dosing recommendation based on NO3 levels) will cause bacteria blooms - making the tank cloudy
-Dosing and not testing (or forgetting to test) can lead to undetectable NO3 and kill corals
-Immediately upon dosing pH will briefly spike down until it has fully diluted (if using pH probe - don't know about standard pH tests)

Recommendations:
-Test NO3 2x/week
-If running NO3 below 2, strongly recommend dosing amino acids/carbohydrates/vitamins (I personally use Reef Energy)
-I noticed a lack of coloration once my NO3 were consistently below 2, rather than raise NO3 I decided to maintain them and add RE to keep algaes at bay, it also led to a dramatic increase in color, better than when NO3 were higher
-Make sure you have a good, consistent skimmer
-If you have a skimmer that likes to stop, stop dosing NoPox until you have a better/repaired one

Jonathan veillette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been dosing nopox in my reefer 170. Roughly 45 gallons. 1ml every day for about 4 months now. Weekly tests show N03 between 1ppm and 10ppm. I haven't noticed any bad side affects yet... I started with 2ml every day untill my N03 dropped. Now holding steady at 1ml day. My questions is. Should I stop dosing when my N03 stays near 0?? Corals still have great color

Last edited:
OP
OP
tsav87

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been dosing nopox in my reefer 170. Roughly 45 gallons. 1ml every day for about 4 months now. Weekly tests show N03 between 1ppm and 10ppm. I haven't noticed any bad side affects yet... I started with 2ml every day untill my N03 dropped. Now holding steady at 1ml day. My questions is. Should I stop dosing when my N03 stays near 0?? Corals still have great color
It’s my understanding that you keep dosing a maintenance dose after you get the NO3 in check. If your not running a fuge, they would likely rise without a healthy bacteria population.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose in my doser every day at four ML into my 45 gal tank with 20 gal fuge. Four over three year.I also use all of their products including the reef energy as well. My growth is phenomenal. Been using it for three years
88AC6724-F7F2-49A7-9FCE-982025F4C853.jpeg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back