Normal for a bubble tip to just lay on the sand on it's first day in a tank? [PIC inside]

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a green BTA for my bosses tank. I put him the lowest flow and lower part of the tank.

He LOOKS healthy. But his butt end hasn't attached to any rockwork or glass or anything. Should I nudge him closer to the glass or leave him alone?

20220429_155629.jpg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, that’s a long tentacle anemone (lta, macrodactyla doreensis). It’s a sand anemone, it will eventually bury its foot, but it is common for it to sit like that for a few days.

if you look under the oral disc you should see spots like this. That will confirm it’s macrodactyla doreensis.

DFD47F3E-8D90-4885-B334-F93F53C73EB0.jpeg

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? I actually think that is way cooler than a bubble tip. Thank you sir!

LFS guy didn't know and neither did I! YAY!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? I actually think that is way cooler than a bubble tip. Thank you sir!

LFS guy didn't know and neither did I! YAY!
That's probably the second most common anenome type across our entire hobby. If your LFS had no Idea what it was, I would be looking for a different store...

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's probably the second most common anenome type across our entire hobby. If your LFS had no Idea what it was, I would be looking for a different store...
Isn't this type of anemone more likely to attract our clownfish though?

I didn't want a BTA but said aw heck what the heck. I wanted a tentacle type first. Happy accident?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't this type of anemone more likely to attract our clownfish though?

I didn't want a BTA but said aw heck what the heck. I wanted a tentacle type first. Happy accident?
Neither bta's or lta's are natural hosts of the two most common species of clowns people keep (percula & ocellaris), however, most clowns of these species will adjust and accept either. Some other clowns are natural symbiotes (maroon clowns for example). The biggest differences between lta's and bta's are size, reproduction, and location. Bta's often split a lot and people can end up with dozens of them (some people hate this about them, some people love it). LTA's don't split. Because bta's tend to split when they get large, they typically stay well under 12", lta's can get 18"+. Finally, lta's are going to take up residence on the sandbed while bta's will roam the rocks looking for a home. They are both fascinating creatures in their own ways. Maybe you should get one of each (not to mention you should get rfa's, sebaes, malus, gigs, haddoni, mini-maxi's, and a few mags once you're a pro....). Maybe you shouldn't hang out in this forum too long.....seems like people who do end up with a nem tank or two added to their arsenal!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both fascinating creatures in their own ways. Maybe you should get one of each (not to mention you should get rfa's, sebaes, malus, gigs, haddoni, mini-maxi's, and a few mags once you're a pro....). Maybe you shouldn't hang out in this forum too long.....seems like people who do end up with a nem tank or two added to their arsenal!
Ummm....

Yeah..........

That's All true....
PXL_20220413_040014117.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither bta's or lta's are natural hosts of the two most common species of clowns people keep (percula & ocellaris), however, most clowns of these species will adjust and accept either. Some other clowns are natural symbiotes (maroon clowns for example). The biggest differences between lta's and bta's are size, reproduction, and location. Bta's often split a lot and people can end up with dozens of them (some people hate this about them, some people love it). LTA's don't split. Because bta's tend to split when they get large, they typically stay well under 12", lta's can get 18"+. Finally, lta's are going to take up residence on the sandbed while bta's will roam the rocks looking for a home. They are both fascinating creatures in their own ways. Maybe you should get one of each (not to mention you should get rfa's, sebaes, malus, gigs, haddoni, mini-maxi's, and a few mags once you're a pro....). Maybe you shouldn't hang out in this forum too long.....seems like people who do end up with a nem tank or two added to their arsenal!
Neato. He has the entire bottom left hand portion of the tank to himself. (Assuming that is where he ends up) Our clowns also hang out on the left side of the tank and decided to host the heater. (I guess)

I went mental today and about some corals and fish for the tank. It was getting boring so I got a Wrasse, some Chromis and a Mandarin. My boss was on vacation so when he comes back he will see a bunch of new stuff added.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220506_072705.jpg

I spoke too soon. He has been moving around this rock for he past couple of days. He still looks big a puffy. There should be about 3-4" of sand for him to play with. I put him a very calm spot in the tank. Hope he is alright.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back