Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great!
Thanks! Even I'm impressed with how well my own system is doing. It's weird when I have a lack of things to complain or worry about with the tank. Biggest problem I have right now is keeping up with my alk dosing with how much the corals are growing.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded my lights to a single 48" photon v2pro
20231208_182914.jpg

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of the single fixture over the tank. With it hanging so high I can't see much of a difference in overall coverage. Waterchange and pump cleaning later this weekend along with a full round of tests.
20231209_101013.jpg

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going well. Had a little alk spike that effected one of my tabling acros but so far only minor tissue recession around the base. Ive got a malinarus wrasse in qt and am looking at getting some led bars to supplement the spread and get a little more light down the sides of the tank.
20240106_120830.jpg
20240106_120821.jpg
20240106_103103.jpg
20240106_103055.jpg

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly at my 1yr mark on this tank. Started building a big frag system so I can get the racks out and start collecting some more sps. Removed one of my big chunks of green birdsnest recently.
20240214_162303.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly at my 1yr mark on this tank. Started building a big frag system so I can get the racks out and start collecting some more sps. Removed one of my big chunks of green birdsnest recently.
20240214_162303.jpg
Your tank progress is great for a year! Frag tank will be good too so you can get more coral haha

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240311_171630.jpg

Things to update...
-Added a malinarus wrasse.
-My older maxima clam kicked the bucket. I think this was a result of damaging the foot during the tank move. After a few months the foot dropped and things very slowly went downhill for it.
-growout system will be ready for a water test this weekend.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin good. Melanurus are great. Peaceful and good at eating bad guys. Mine has gotten big in a year. About 5" now

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got rid of most of my birdsnest and picked up a Fiji acro this past weekend. Sadly my elegance decided to bail out. Shuffled around the tank now that I don't have to worry about things getting stung on that side.
20240319_165601.jpg

The Fiji acro has already started to gain some color back after getting dipped a few times.
20240319_174257.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got rid of most of my birdsnest and picked up a Fiji acro this past weekend. Sadly my elegance decided to bail out. Shuffled around the tank now that I don't have to worry about things getting stung on that side.
20240319_165601.jpg

The Fiji acro has already started to gain some color back after getting dipped a few times.
20240319_174257.jpg
Nice looking acro!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20240329_165439_436.jpg

Added a couple more yellow clown gobies into quarantine yesterday.
I have kept these in the past. I had 4 at one point all 4 were different colors seemed like I never had issues with them. They ate from day one pellet or frozen, I've heard they dont always do well. I also had mine in a mostly lps/zoa tank I'd see them some times picking at the skeleton of the lps. I know in the wild they will lay their eggs on the branches or base of acros. I have heard never seen that they will strip sections of flesh off of sps even if they are not mated or laying eggs. I was hesitant to add any to my sps tank because of this. Any issues in your very nice sps dominated tank?

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept these in the past. I had 4 at one point all 4 were different colors seemed like I never had issues with them. They ate from day one pellet or frozen, I've heard they dont always do well. I also had mine in a mostly lps/zoa tank I'd see them some times picking at the skeleton of the lps. I know in the wild they will lay their eggs on the branches or base of acros. I have heard never seen that they will strip sections of flesh off of sps even if they are not mated or laying eggs. I was hesitant to add any to my sps tank because of this. Any issues in your very nice sps dominated tank?
I've already got a green clown goby and never had an issue. This subject actually came up with some local reefers and I this past week. I think the clown gobies get confused a lot with Citron gobies. Clown gobies may make a small patch near the base of an acro into a nest area for eggs but they do not damage acros outside of that and only maited pairs will actively build a nest location. The Citron gobies look very similar but are larger and can be identified by the bright blue verticle lines around the eyes. They actually eat coral mucus. So they intentionally bite and irritate the corals so they produce more mucus for them to consume.

Clown gobies will move around and perch in the branches of acros waiting for food to drift by but they do not actively harm any of them doing that.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already got a green clown goby and never had an issue. This subject actually came up with some local reefers and I this past week. I think the clown gobies get confused a lot with Citron gobies. Clown gobies may make a small patch near the base of an acro into a nest area for eggs but they do not damage acros outside of that and only maited pairs will actively build a nest location. The Citron gobies look very similar but are larger and can be identified by the bright blue verticle lines around the eyes. They actually eat coral mucus. So they intentionally bite and irritate the corals so they produce more mucus for them to consume.

Clown gobies will move around and perch in the branches of acros waiting for food to drift by but they do not actively harm any of them doing that.
Yeah I'm pretty sure mine were clowns also. Maybe mine were hunting pods. None of mine had blue near their eyes, had a green, red, yellow and black.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm pretty sure mine were clowns also. Maybe mine were hunting pods. None of mine had blue near their eyes, had a green, red, yellow and black.
The greens are very obvious because they don't share the same color patterns as the Citron. But the yellows especially younger ones you can't see the blue very well. Ill be keeping an eye out when they get added regardless. Nearly any fish is capable of eventually turning on some of the corals. I know plenty of folks who have had their tangs start taking bites out of any green acros they had in their tanks. More often then not they go after the flashier lps first.

My green clown goby hanging in my blueberry stag.
20240314_172323.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back