Northwest's 20G Long Non-Photosynthetic Reef (The Reboot)

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Well Well summary, an equipment failure caused the tank to crash (most of the corals were good, and I only had 3 so not too many). This tank is actually going to serve as a temporary setup while I wait to build the big (what will likely be) UNS 90S 48 Gallon NPS Display. This tank will kind of serve as a growout / nano display for that tank, and since I'm going to Uni in 2 years, this is a great option to pack up and bring with me if the University allows it.
This build I'd say is rather simple, though this time I'm able to spend more since I've got a job now (it's really been helping with the hobby) so that's awesome. With that, I've invested in what should be some more reliable equipment than what I had last time.
The Current Build Consists of;
Tank- Aqueon 20 Gallon Long
Filtration- Aquaclear 70 (Though I may upgrade to a canister or Tidal 35 if it gets too noisy)
Heater- Aquarium Co-op 100W on an Inkbird (Set to around 74F)
Lighting- None, though I do have a Nicrew in storage I'll put on the lowest setting for a few hours since most public aquariums do that, along for photography reasons
Wavemaker- Nero 3

Scape-
This is actually a pretty interesting story. So the NPS Tank at the Seattle Aquarium has become one of the favorite within recent years (you can view some photos I took here). Mainly because of the Wire Corals but the big colonies of Tubastrea are also insane. Thankfully, I became a High School Volunteer there (YOA) and it's been a blast the past 2-ish months I've been officially on the floor. Anyways, it's given me a good chance to really study the layout of the tank and I took a lot of inspiration from it for this scape. Most of it is really 2 rocks glued on top of each other on both sides but it makes for a nice Deepwater Look in my opinion. I'm hoping those will be covered in Tubastrea and Dendros in the coming months.
Rock- 18 Pounds of Marco Dryrock
Sand- 20 Pounds of CaribSea Special Grade (Arag-Alive)

Currently
, my experience with NPS is good but not that diverse (just Tubastrea (Sun Corals), Leptogorgia, and Didogorgia (Red & Yellow Finger Gorgs.) I'm hoping to expand that by quite a lot with this build, I'm super excited for it. Here's a list of corals that I'm pretty set on having;

Corals: -Tubastrea (Orange, Pink, Black), Dendrophyllia, Swiftia Exeserta, Chili Coral, Menella (Red / Gold most likely), Blueberry Gorgonian, along with a couple others that I can't find an ID for. This tank will most likely be Cup Coral dominant (So mostly Sun Corals and Dendros). The height doesn't allow for too many Gorgs, but I have at least 3 spots I think I'm able to put gorgs in and have them be happy.
Most likely, the Swiftia and Menella will have a spot in here since I've wanted those two species for forever and they're quite easy going in terms of NPS Gorgonians. I know the Swiftia I can get in smaller sizes so that shouldn't be a problem, though the other species will come in quite big so I need to be wise about which species I choose.
I'm actually hoping to donate a few species to the Aquarium through this tank. Were missing a few species like Swiftia, the Red and Gold Menella, etc in our NPS Tank and especially since the tank is moving to the new building across the street, couldn't be a better time.

Fish
choices I'm not very set on yet. I'll most likely be moving my Pink Streaked Wrasse over since it'll help with any potential coral pests + it'd look amazing in here. I'm thinking of a group of Biota E. Atriventris gobies for here since they're bright and do venture out into the middle of the water column. At first I loved the thought of a group of Long Spined Cardinals, however even though they've got the reputation of being the "friendliest" cardinal, they can still kill each other off until there is a pair. I do have someone who might be able to get in some Tryssogobius sp. (Fairy Gobies) which is a dream species of mine that would fit really well in here but we'll see.

Currently the Nero 3 and Sand are stuck in transit due to Snow and I don't have an ETA on when they'll be here. But as of tonight, I got the cycle running and just letting the tank run until those come. I hope to get corals in here soon. Starting off with Tubastrea and Dendros then slowly adding the Gorgs. I do have plans on doing an auto refrigerator doser for whenever I go away, so I'll have to look into that. I hope everyone enjoys this one! Should be super fun! (and a headache haha)

Will look a lot better with Sand + proper flow. The Blue dots are areas I believe I could put gorgs, but I'll have to see once I play around with the flow of course. The lighting also won't be like this, it was just for the photo.
DSC06006.JPG

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Well Well summary, an equipment failure caused the tank to crash (most of the corals were good, and I only had 3 so not too many). This tank is actually going to serve as a temporary setup while I wait to build the big (what will likely be) UNS 90S 48 Gallon NPS Display. This tank will kind of serve as a growout / nano display for that tank, and since I'm going to Uni in 2 years, this is a great option to pack up and bring with me if the University allows it.
This build I'd say is rather simple, though this time I'm able to spend more since I've got a job now (it's really been helping with the hobby) so that's awesome. With that, I've invested in what should be some more reliable equipment than what I had last time.
The Current Build Consists of;
Tank- Aqueon 20 Gallon Long
Filtration- Aquaclear 70 (Though I may upgrade to a canister or Tidal 35 if it gets too noisy)
Heater- Aquarium Co-op 100W on an Inkbird (Set to around 74F)
Lighting- None, though I do have a Nicrew in storage I'll put on the lowest setting for a few hours since most public aquariums do that, along for photography reasons
Wavemaker- Nero 3

Scape-
This is actually a pretty interesting story. So the NPS Tank at the Seattle Aquarium has become one of the favorite within recent years (you can view some photos I took here). Mainly because of the Wire Corals but the big colonies of Tubastrea are also insane. Thankfully, I became a High School Volunteer there (YOA) and it's been a blast the past 2-ish months I've been officially on the floor. Anyways, it's given me a good chance to really study the layout of the tank and I took a lot of inspiration from it for this scape. Most of it is really 2 rocks glued on top of each other on both sides but it makes for a nice Deepwater Look in my opinion. I'm hoping those will be covered in Tubastrea and Dendros in the coming months.
Rock- 18 Pounds of Marco Dryrock
Sand- 20 Pounds of CaribSea Special Grade (Arag-Alive)

Currently
, my experience with NPS is good but not that diverse (just Tubastrea (Sun Corals), Leptogorgia, and Didogorgia (Red & Yellow Finger Gorgs.) I'm hoping to expand that by quite a lot with this build, I'm super excited for it. Here's a list of corals that I'm pretty set on having;

Corals: -Tubastrea (Orange, Pink, Black), Dendrophyllia, Swiftia Exeserta, Chili Coral, Menella (Red / Gold most likely), Blueberry Gorgonian, along with a couple others that I can't find an ID for. This tank will most likely be Cup Coral dominant (So mostly Sun Corals and Dendros). The height doesn't allow for too many Gorgs, but I have at least 3 spots I think I'm able to put gorgs in and have them be happy.
Most likely, the Swiftia and Menella will have a spot in here since I've wanted those two species for forever and they're quite easy going in terms of NPS Gorgonians. I know the Swiftia I can get in smaller sizes so that shouldn't be a problem, though the other species will come in quite big so I need to be wise about which species I choose.
I'm actually hoping to donate a few species to the Aquarium through this tank. Were missing a few species like Swiftia, the Red and Gold Menella, etc in our NPS Tank and especially since the tank is moving to the new building across the street, couldn't be a better time.

Fish
choices I'm not very set on yet. I'll most likely be moving my Pink Streaked Wrasse over since it'll help with any potential coral pests + it'd look amazing in here. I'm thinking of a group of Biota E. Atriventris gobies for here since they're bright and do venture out into the middle of the water column. At first I loved the thought of a group of Long Spined Cardinals, however even though they've got the reputation of being the "friendliest" cardinal, they can still kill each other off until there is a pair. I do have someone who might be able to get in some Tryssogobius sp. (Fairy Gobies) which is a dream species of mine that would fit really well in here but we'll see.

Currently the Nero 3 and Sand are stuck in transit due to Snow and I don't have an ETA on when they'll be here. But as of tonight, I got the cycle running and just letting the tank run until those come. I hope to get corals in here soon. Starting off with Tubastrea and Dendros then slowly adding the Gorgs. I do have plans on doing an auto refrigerator doser for whenever I go away, so I'll have to look into that. I hope everyone enjoys this one! Should be super fun! (and a headache haha)

Will look a lot better with Sand + proper flow. The Blue dots are areas I believe I could put gorgs, but I'll have to see once I play around with the flow of course. The lighting also won't be like this, it was just for the photo.
DSC06006.JPG
Tank still looks great as of now!! Can't wait to see it stocked!!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! what are your plans to feed the NPS corals?
I am going to add some to my seahorse set up once it get up and running good.
Thank you! I plan on using the Reef Nutrition Line (Phyto, Oyster, ROE) since it's worked really well for me so far. PacPods and RotiFeast is something I might try since my LFS has been getting that in recently. I'd like to try PE Mysis and Pellets for the larger polyp corals like the Suns and Dendros since they're able to take food that big.
I'm a bit worried about the gorgonians since they feed from the current so I can't exactly spot them, but if you watch them for a bit after putting in food, you should the polyps react which most likely means they're grabbing something out of the water.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've got water :)
Turns out it's probably going to snow in my area too so the likely hood of the rest of the stuff being delayed again is increasing. I'll probably just throw in the bacteria + flakes for Ammonia and monitor it. As long as it's cycling, that's good
DSC06009.JPG

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even a week into the build and I already have to take it down
Last night the rest of the equipment came, but as I was looking closer, I noticed quite a few micro bubbles in the seam on the front left. Whether it means there's a small leak, im not sure. All I know is that the tank is now a ticking time bomb of when the seams could give out.

Hoping to replace it with a new 20 Long since none of the UNS Tanks fit the stand dimensions (was hoping for a 90L but it's a bit too long unfortunately). That should be happening this week so I can really get this thing moving.

For now, here's the last FTS
DSC06011.JPG
DSC06013.JPG

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back