Not an emergency but open for any suggestions

Jose408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi community , so yesterday was a big party at my house I basically ended up blacking out but I checked this morning and my water was very foggy with a beer cap floating on top with salt all around the over floor immediately I knew somebody spilled beer in my tank.. right away I did a big water change, changed my filter sock with a completely new one cleaned out my skimmer and I also replaced my carbon with”chemi-pure blue” should I change out my bio media as well ? And add beneficial bacteria ? I have Red Sea max Nano 20 gallon all in one

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jose408

Jose408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very concerned and disappointed.. how could someone possibly do that.... nobody has confessed but it’s obvious ... just wondering is there any signs I should look for ? Should I add anything ? Water looks very clear at the moment

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do another water change tomorrow, rinse carbon and do an ammonia and nitrate test. If all checks out - Good to go ! You reacted well to carbon, etc.
Must have been a serious party but social distancing - Party ?

1587436106247.png
1587436152901.png
1587436169199.png

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish I could help, but the closest thing I’ve heard of to anything like this is someone’s young relatives had been peeing in the tank for quite some time until they realized.. I really can’t believe someone would do such a thing to your tank though!! That’s crazy!
The person I tagged above is the moderator for this forum :)

OP
OP
Jose408

Jose408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do another water change tomorrow, rinse carbon and do an ammonia and nitrate test. If all checks out - Good to go ! You reacted well to carbon, etc.
Must have been a serious party but social distancing - Party ?

1587436106247.png
1587436152901.png
1587436169199.png
I know that’ was a mistake to begin with just felt messed up though like why do such a thing to my tank... I will do that first thing in the morning

OP
OP
Jose408

Jose408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish I could help, but the closest thing I’ve heard of to anything like this is someone’s young relatives had been peeing in the tank for quite some time until they realized.. I really can’t believe someone would do such a thing to your tank though!! That’s crazy!
The person I tagged above is the moderator for this forum :)
I was very upset this morning like hurt... I had just finished telling people last night a lot about what I do to maintain it and how I take good care of my things and this morning was just hectic really wish I could’ve got a picture but i was in a rush

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was beer, it's a carbon source. Water changes and GAC. watch for a bacterial bloom.

Best of luck

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was very upset this morning like hurt... I had just finished telling people last night a lot about what I do to maintain it and how I take good care of my things and this morning was just hectic really wish I could’ve got a picture but i was in a rush
Would be great if the person could man up and Apologize and never be invited back

Killervector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm brand new to reefing, but as a homebrewer can tell you that beer is water, hops, yeast, and barley. Most commercial beers are filtered DOZENS of times. Bud is filtered 16 times before bottling. Their yeast is proprietary, and another company, or homebrewer could culture their yeast, hence the filtering. (Among clarity and other things).

There should be nothing harmful within the beer. I do not know, however the effect of alcohol on a reef system or fish. Depending on tank size, id assume it would be so diluted, that it wouldn't really affect things.

But like I said, complete reef noob here.

Best of luck!

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like what was said above, beer shouldn't cause too much harm, but it is a carbon source, so watch for bacterial blooms and skim wet for a while.

However, I do question the intention of throwing a party in this period. I am trying my best to remain civil in this forum, but seriously, throwing a large party enough where someone unidentified can dump beer into a reef tank... really isn't the smartest thing to do right now.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.1%
Back