Not aptasia?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read aptasia is translucent, whereas this guy (who has been there for many months now) has always been brown, maybe even redish.

Really crappy photo and if you can see him through my "dusty" hair algae! (My diamond back kicks up debris from the sand, and I usually suck this out but am right now at a "tired of this" point with my GHA, and just leaving stuff be for now.)

PXL_20210326_003616386.MP.jpg

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's always been attached to a worm like body, never seen the base.

I'm asking today because all of a sudden, he has huge fingers today.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely aiptasia, the foot it almost always deep inside a hole so it can retreat to safety if necessary. It is typical for some to get much bigger than others especially if it is in a spot where it can filter food out of the water. I'd hit it fast. Frank's F-aiptaia is a fantastic product but if you only have one you can achieve the same result by hitting it with kalk paste and then covering the hole with epoxy so it can't spread its spores all over your tank as its dying.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.

Well it's been there forever, and never seen another one until the other day, I notice a very small one forming.

My early research said it was a form of filter feeder, often confused with Aptasia. And it's been very unassuming since forever. Now that I see another and this guy has gotten bigger, I'll head tomorrow eve and get the Red Sea stuff, just in case you'all are correct.

I think I'll hit it with the Red Sea Aptasia X.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought aptasia is a rapid spreader? This guy has been there at least 6 months, and only the other day do I see one similar baby a ways away but on the same part of my rock structure.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.

Well it's been there forever, and never seen another one until the other day, I notice a very small one forming.

My early research said it was a form of filter feeder, often confused with Aptasia. And it's been very unassuming since forever. Now that I see another and this guy has gotten bigger, I'll head tomorrow eve and get the Red Sea stuff, just in case you'all are correct.

I think I'll hit it with the Red Sea Aptasia X.
Put a dab of super glue on the rock where it was after it retreats. The little things can survive the aiptasia x occasionally.
Watch it for about 10 minutes and it will start to look like its melting, once there is barely anything left just put a little superglue over it to be sure.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought aptasia is a rapid spreader? This guy has been there at least 6 months, and only the other day do I see one similar baby a ways away but on the same part of my rock structure.
It will take it's time, but once you have 2, youll have 4 quicker, then 8, you get the picture.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even remember anymore... I was super worried when I first saw it, then after a decent amount of research, concluded it was a harmless filter feeder. I'll double check in with my LFS too when I get the aptasia X. I doubt I can hit it's source spot with glue @mstoneman17, it has always been tucked in there pretty good. The new one I see is totally inaccessible except small fingers coming out.

I think that is part of why I concluded it wasn't aptasia? Don't remember.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You will need to shut down water flow and as much of a pain as it is, mix kalkwasser powder with tank water and lemon juice into a toothpaste like consistency and using a syringe- inject into the CENTER CORE of each one. This will take repetition but you will suddenly see them diminish. I assume theyre also in the plumbing and by return pump area.
Other options are :
For each method you should turn your flow OFF for 5 mins. before and during the treatment and wait 15 mins. before turning it back ON after the the treatment, including the return pump.

• Lemon Juice - Instead of reaching for your bottle of lemon juice to enhance your glass of water or cup of tea, maybe try it as an Aiptasia exterminator. While wearing gloves, fill a syringe with pure lemon juice and inject it directly into the Aiptasia. Make sure to move slowly to prevent scarring the anemone into its hole.
  • Hydrogen Peroxide - Just like with the lemon juice, fill a syringe and carefully inject a small amount of the solution directly into the disk of the Aiptasia. Be extra careful to not release any hydrogen peroxide into the tank. Not the safest way.
  • Kalkwasser - Also known as Calcium hydroxide, kalkwasser is capable of killing Aiptasia. However, I don’t recommend this extermination tactic. In order to work, you must precisely fill the Aiptasia with a concentrated dose. If you try killing too many in this way, you can inadvertently raise your tank pH level, which is no good.
  • Other Methods - Some of the other methods commonly used to eradicate Aiptasia include boiling water, vinegar, electricity(zap) and even super glue. If you’re considering these methods, there’s a better way that’s less dangerous to you, your tank and your bank account.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing is my rock and livestock sources make me unsure what to make of this guy. My LFS is relatively serious pest free. I know how that sounds... but.... is true.

Doesn't mean this is NOT aptasia, I get it. And sounds like if it isn't, no reason to risk that. Assume it is I will!

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is certainly aiptasia, the appearance of anything in a picture of a reef tank can vary a lot.
I wouldn't hit it with anything like aiptasia x without also covering with epoxy or superglue. Killing it will almost always speed up the process of rapid expansion as one anemone often turns to 10 or more when you kill it.

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know yours doesn’t look very much like the photos, but as others have mentioned it’s definitely aptasia. I have a few in my tank and I just leave them be because I don’t care too much for them or the spots that they’re at (overflow, and nearby some torches). I kind of life the diversity in my tank. The only spot I don’t tolerate them is nearby my soft corals.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dealt with them for about 12 years, I'd say I kill one every few months. Just add a couple berghia nudibranches, and you dont have to do any of this. If it is aiptasia, the berghia will eat it, if it isn't aiptasia, the berghia will not. look on local fb or ask your lfs for berghia nudibraches they are cheap

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've read aptasia is translucent, whereas this guy (who has been there for many months now) has always been brown, maybe even redish.

Really crappy photo and if you can see him through my "dusty" hair algae! (My diamond back kicks up debris from the sand, and I usually suck this out but am right now at a "tired of this" point with my GHA, and just leaving stuff be for now.)

PXL_20210326_003616386.MP.jpg
Also in this pic, your rock is being overtaken by what is known as Callothrix. It is a species of cyano often appear as a light slimy yet hairy/fuzzy nastiness that loosely attaches to your rock work. Air bubbles are usually trapped while escaping the algae just like in your picture. Calothrix is a type of algae that looks very similar to Dinos.
Remove the rock and scrub, and then fine tune with a toothbrush. Let the cleaners get the rest. It helps to use a net to collect the debris that will occur as a result of the toothbrushing.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it sounds odd when strangers on the internet make such strong assertions from a photo like you posted but aiptasia is an enemy we have all battled for years and yes we know our enemy.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 151 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back