OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add, the red coris wrasse will not be added to the new tank. She'll stay in the 40B until july, when she gets her own 150!

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update ! A lot has happened. I bought three new fish that are all in quarantine. Can't really get good photos of them, as that tank has no light. Carpenter's flasher wrasse, a teeny-tiny orange spot rabbitfish, and a black ocellaris clown that has a large white spot on one side. All for $45 each, from fintastic aquariums of Frederick. my favorite fish store in MD. I also got 5 free frags from a friend. ranbow poci, green cap, sunset monti, purple digi, and a Montipora spongodes.
image0 (2).jpeg image1.jpeg
Also, I built a small, crappy, TEMPORARY control board! used grey porch paint bc that's the only color I had, but I'm going to spray paint it white to match. image2.jpeg
Still no word from Innovative Marine on my tank, but it's only been 12 weeks.

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an email reply! According to IM, my tank will be at their facility by early next week, which means it should be shipped to me by the week after that. Exciting!!!!

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and one more thing, I've started a successful culture of phytoplakton, dosing a good amount into my tank every day. I see a small uptick in GHA growth and we have yet to see if it affects coral health or visible copepod populations.

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a stupid mistake that very luckily did not screw me up. I'm using vinegar saturated kalkwasser to handle my alk and calcium, so it is very potent stuff. When I mixed up a new batch two days ago, I forgot to turn my ATO off. Basically, my pump dumped about .25 gallons of basically kalk slurry straight into my sump at once. Not good stuff. I see burn on one or two of the montis, but luckily no rtn or stn on the acros. lucky me! In much better news, my tank has landed in the US! Looking forward to getting it in the next 10-ish days.

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my plan for transferring my animals during the upgrade! any feedback appreciated.
ON TANK TRANSFER DAY/WEEK:
  1. Drain sump and move over
  2. Refill Sump
  3. Move ATO and saltwater reservoir
  4. Drain Tank, remove rock and inhabitants into tubs
  5. Dismantle table
  6. Move tubs out of the way
  7. Set tubs up with heater and flow
  8. Move tank and stand out of the way
  9. Build wall
  10. Put up wall
  11. Build new stand, put in place
  12. Set up new Electronics board
  13. Connect hydros etc.
  14. Move new tank into place
  15. Adjust lights
  16. Plumb into sump
  17. Aquascape, sand, drill rocks for frag plugs
  18. Fill
  19. Place in powerheads/gyres, set up with power board
  20. Lights off
  21. Let sit for a day or two (IF i can get enough saltwater)
  22. Transfer fish/corals
  23. Move animals from 29 gallon
If you can set the new one up before taking down the old, we started swapping water (5%) each day to even it partner so there was no acclimation needed. Did it for around a week. Looks like you are saying you might not have space for that but if you can it was much less daunting.

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can set the new one up before taking down the old, we started swapping water (5%) each day to even it partner so there was no acclimation needed. Did it for around a week. Looks like you are saying you might not have space for that but if you can it was much less daunting.
That would be the best possible way to do it. However, the new tank is going in exactly the same spot my current DT is in, and it doesn't seem to make sense to just move the DT while keeping it running before the transfer.

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought 2 buckets of salt for super cheap from petsmart! Aside from them being 50% off, by selecting auto-purchase, I got another 35% off… and then I just cancelled the auto-order! Inspired by @Troylee
668ECE07-A4F2-4932-85ED-D1E51F0E8D8B.png

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I celebrated my 18th birthday on saturday! Officially an adult, although it doesn't feel that at all. spent the weekend with my friends playing paintball and stuffs. Pretty cool! However, in this busy-ness, I kinda neglected my tanks. I forgot to start a new phyto bottle, and lost the culture :( Everything else is fine, although the red coris wrasse managed to pull all of the new monti frags out of the rack, which is kind of a regular thing. Reason #1 for her going out of my reef tank.

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To continue on my stupid rampage of buying new sps before my new tank even comes, I bought 5 no-name imported acro frags from my club today! We have an annual event where the club imports colonies, lets them sit in member's QT tanks for 2-3 months, and then they are fragged for sale. All frags were 20 bucks, and I won a giveaway for some sticks as well! I got 5 acros, a rainbow-esque pectinia, and 2 mushrooms. For the acros, I tried to get more unique species. I got 1 millipora, 2 tenuis (?), 1 A. humilis (?), and one acro that looks like a tenuis, except the corallites are at a lower angle. Will get pictures after school today.

Also, my $50 amazon rodi finally kicked the bucket after 3 years. That thing has been outside on my deck pumping through rain and snow, summer and winter, in direct sunlight the whole time. While it wasn't always producing 0 tds, it was working well. However, it dying gave me the opportunity to upgrade. For my 18th birthday gift, my parents are installing a sink in my little area. Im going to install a second outlet under it for an rodi unit, and I decided to go with the fancy schmancy BRS 100 gpd 5-stage PREMIUM filter. Premium just means it comes with a pressure gauge and in-line tds meter, lol. My tank had a lil bit of issues with lack of alk and high salinity, but nothing major happened with the corals. Anyway, this new filter is a beast!!!
DD81DD74-5B39-4239-8423-7A3550611C56.jpeg

In comparison to the old one (it’s also like 5x heavier):
6FC564C5-9282-4072-BE30-5258963169A8.jpeg

My tank has apparently arrived at my local shipping terminal, and according to IM, they should call me to schedule a delivery. However, it's been like 5 days and still no call. A little bit worried here.

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp apparently as I was typing that last part the freight company was attempting to deliver my tank, but the truck lift wasn't working and they were unable to get the tank out without damaging it. I owe my parents one for trying to deal with that headache LOL! My mom told them to CALL next time, lets see if they do. Apparently the pallet is 4 x 6!

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s here!!!
738483FA-59A2-4899-B8E5-B46EADC58E36.jpeg

That was a headache, but it’s currently sitting in my garage :) We need to remove the doors from our basement entrance in order to get the pallet in, so that’ll be a little while. Its so beautiful! I also realized that in order to fit my salt mixing bin where I want it, I need to pull out my stand holding all of the saltwater tanks about a foot. That means draining out the 29 qt before anything else. Hopefully it works out. Also, I caught the red coris wrasse grabbing an acropora frag, pulling it out of the rocks, just to get at what was under the plug! She’s so smart, but such a jerk ‍♂️♂️
6640F65E-C915-44DA-855D-7192200BA918.jpeg
29CBD1AA-397F-476C-AF0D-E558EA8A0713.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s here!!!
738483FA-59A2-4899-B8E5-B46EADC58E36.jpeg

That was a headache, but it’s currently sitting in my garage :) We need to remove the doors from our basement entrance in order to get the pallet in, so that’ll be a little while. I also realized that in order to fit my salt mixing bin where I want it, I need to pull out my stand holding all of the saltwater tanks about a foot. That means draining out the 29 qt before anything else. Hopefully it works out. Also, I caught the red coris wrasse grabbing an acropora frag, pulling it out of the rocks, just to get at what was under the plug! She’s so smart, but such an a$$hole ‍♂️♂️
6640F65E-C915-44DA-855D-7192200BA918.jpeg
29CBD1AA-397F-476C-AF0D-E558EA8A0713.jpeg
Nice new tank! Excited to see what it looks like once it is put up!

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just lost the last chromis in the display. Over the course of three days it went from being healthy and fine, to swimming slowly at the top corner of the tank, to disappearing. Found it last night :( This is how all 4 of my chromis went after one year of them being completely fine. Did not see any aggression, and they were all eating. Seems like a neurological issue. Possibly due to malpractice during their collection? Hoping the one I have in qt will be fine, but I'm off chromis now. Will try anthias.
AF1DA7A5-F626-4817-A09D-709ED35C7F5C.jpeg

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to that- I feed very heavily. What i have read is that chromis eat a lot, and regularly, and feeding large quantities often reduces the risk of them fighting. This is what I saw. I rarely, if ever, saw the chromis fighting. The presence of larger fish may have also helped.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back